Couple of questions on the Merlin VSM speakers...

I'm interested in these speakers. I thought there used to be a dealer in the SF Bay area, but none is listed on the Merlin web site; I'll check to confirm this, but I'm asking these questions because I may not be able to demo them. They will be located in our living room and serve double duty as serious listening and casual listening. Most of these questions are in regards to casual listening. Our room is about 24x14x9. Side reflections are not an issue.

How do they sound at low volume?

How do they sound off axis?

How do they sound placed close (10-18") to the wall behind them (we can pull them out for more serious listening)?

For more serious listening, how much of a difference does the BAM make? We'd like to avoid the clutter of extra boxes.

Finally, just how red is the Ruby Red color???

Thanks.
budrew
Budrew, I too bought the VSM's based only on extensive research here on Agon and everywhere else I could find some info. You'll discover (as I did) that this speaker system is one of the true gems to be found in the audio world. It accomadates anything you put in front of it and demonstrates every nuance of whatever that anything is. They're musically magical for my tastes which are primarily modern jazz and female vocals. I also run the BAM and consider it a flattering asset. The VSM is not the last word in bass slam and extension. However, more import for me, it's accurate and musically truthful bass. The only potential consideration is your room size if combined with a preference for harder rock music. Good luck, Dave
I have the VSM's, and mostly listen to 'rock' (although I prefer to call it virtuoso guitar music, which could range from jazz to classical to bluegrass to funk to screaming heavy metal). I have a large room, sit about 8-9 feet away from the speakers. I have no problem achieving 90 db levels (as measured by radio shack meter) at my listening position, and that's with my preamp only 25% of the way up.
Of course, volume is far from the only consideration. Even on lousy rock recordings, detail, soundstaging, etc. are excellent (to the extent that they can be, given the recording). As far as bass, I had a sub and sold it. Partly that was because it wasn't a great sub, and wasn't fast enough to integrate well with the VSM's. However, I don't think I need a sub for what I listen to. Several people have asked my where my sub is, even though I don't have one! No, the Merlins even with the BAM will not 'shake the family jewels', so to speak. But with the bam AND THE RIGHT AMPLIFICATION/PREAMPLIFICATION/SOURCE (capitalized on purpose, for emphasis!)you will get more bass than you would think possible from a 6.5 in. woofer. If you like techno or something that requires wall shaking bass, then you will need a sub.
Tubegroover, you will be amazed to hear what the VSM-MXs can do in regards to low level resolution at lower volume levels.

Budrew, The best way I can describe the Ruby Heart Red finish is that it is a pure rich dark Red with a metallic flake in the finish (part of the reason why this color is a major SOB to get a good photo of with a flash). I have had customers mistake it as a dark red rosewood finish at a distance. The speakers will work resonably well set up close to the wall behind them .... I do have customers using them as close to the wall as you mention, but no sidewalls are nearby and as long as nothing is inbetween the speakers (except maybe for some room treatment on the wall inbetween the speakers), soundstage and imaging can be fairly good.

FWIW, since they are around 85lbs each and the Z-feet spikes are pretty sharp, this is not a speaker that you can (or would want to) regularly move around. Your best bet is going to try to find a best compromise position for you and your family that results in good performance but without being to intrusive should you get a pair.
I would like to add a point or two.
First, Ruby Heart looks like the Oxblood leather color. We use two coats of black under coat and then spray on the red color and clear. This gives the finish a sense of dimension/depth and richness. A Burgundy wine color or black red is a great description.
The BAM is a very small box that can be hidden easily. It enables the speaker to respond in a manner that belies their size. It also gets rid of ultrasonic noise (which is a must in cities) and out of band low frequency energy (which increases distortion and drains the amp of its power). The BAM is part of the system and not an add on. The speakers would not be optimised without it and their absolute potential would be compromised. One listen and you would never take it out of the system.
Regards,
Bobby