Vandersteen-like "In-between" speakers

I have a pair of Vandersteen 3A signature speakers that came on loan from my brother and I have to give them up in about a month. I am using them with a McCormack DNA-225 and they sound great. I have heard from others that Vandersteen works well with McCormack.

I don't want to spend more money than I have to, but I have about $6K set aside to buy my own speakers. This amount is much more than the 3A signatures. There is no way that I can stretch to buy the Vandersteen 5 or 5A's. A friend of mine has them and they are fantastic.

Can anyone suggest a speaker in my price range, which falls between 3A and 5A, that will give me the same "flavor" as the Vandersteens and will mate well with McCormack? I listen to all kinds of music except very little classical - mostly rock, jazz, bluegrass, vocals.
motdathird
For $4800 retail, you could opt for a pair of Cabasse Egea II's. They produce a true and beautiful tonal quality and an awesome sound stage. They are 93 db efficient which is an easy load to drive. Check them out. You won't be disappointed.
Bigtee the information sheet from CES said two 8" drivers driven by a 350w amp. Themadmilkman mentioned this already in this thread. I confirmed this with a dealer so it looks legit. Ya never know though these speaker people like to make last minute changes!

The Quatro also uses an outer "sock" and two end caps. It just isn't shaped like a rectangle. Judging from the overall shape, the cabinet itself looks to be more like a 5 in contruction (hopefully with all the advantages as well).

The difference in transparency between the 3Asig and 5 is not subtle. Cabinet construction, crossovers which are different and as you pointed out the hand selected drivers all contribute to this. It will be interesting to see how much of an improvement it is, if at all. Gotta love CES!
Vedric, Well, let us hope for the best. It sure would fit my room better and the pair of 2wq's is overkill. Is the woofer on the front of the speaker that Soundstage said was 6-1/2" actually an 8"? I was wondering where a 6-1/2" came from. I have not known V to use this driver before.
Guess we'll wait and see.
Bigtee,

The Vandersteen information sheet from CES says 6 1/2" woofer. 100Hz-900Hz
Thanks Zargon. Where did he put 2-8" subs as mentioned above? I honestly figured one sub in each speaker.