What to add to my system for best sound?

Howdy,

I'm new here, and learning fast, but oh so much to learn. I recently bought my first real stereo (don't laugh) which consists of very basic stuff, and I'm realizing after listening to it that I have more expensive tastes than this stuff can handle. I have Axiom M50 floor standing speakers which are decent, balanced, dynamic, but lack detail. They are powered by an Onkyo receiver and cd changer. I want to add something to get the best sound out of this stuff (I'm going to get some better cables to start), but I'm very curious about the whole "tube amp" thing, and integrated amps and pre-amps.

I'm prepared to buy some used stuff to make this sound better -- especially the detail issue I mentioned -- I want the sound to draw me in more. I might even buy more speakers, and just use these Axioms somewhere else...

I can spend up to $1000 on more stuff (used stuff bought on audiogon probably), if Santa is kind to me!

Thanks!

Julie
julieb63
Julieb63, I have some questions for ya. How did you end up choosing the system you currently own, especially the Axiom M50s? Also, what kind of music do you prefer?
My advise would be to buy some better amplification and then see how things sound w/your spks and CDP. Cables are very important as well. Kimber Kable 4VS spk. wire is an excellent choice on a budget. I also like Straightwire's budget "Musicality and Chorus" interconnects. If the used ($400)Kora "Explorer SI-90" int. amp is still available here, I would highly recommend you consider purchasing. Also, do not disregard older equipment. Recently bought a mid-80's Sony TA-AX-6 int. amp and I'm extremely impressed by its sound. You do not have to spend a fortune to get great sound. My basement system consists of older Sony/NEC components which I bought used for peanuts. Sounds absolutely great in the room w/JM Lab Chorus 705 on custom made 28" oak stands. The key is finding the right equipment for the particular room. Bill
Tube gear is good for simple music like vocal. No good in pop music. Since your Onkyo receiver shall have DSP filter (different music format like, Drama, Music Hall, Theatre, etc), I suggest you should work on a SACD player/Universal Player/redbook CD player/DAC, etc

Source is very important in a stereo system. Bad source wont have good sound even applying decent amplifier.
My advice is always the same.What have you done with the room.The room is the biggest variable.Start to read about room acoustic treatments.Better if its a dedicated room.My room looks like a room treatment sales showroom.Tubetraps,acoustic panel absorbers,RPG skyline diffusers.If you are handy you could make all of them.Before you give up on your gear do a little experimenting with this stuff.Not that new amps and subs and cd players are out of the question,its that you need to ,"Tune the room".Good luck and pick up a copy of stereophile guide to hometheater and start to read Russ Hershelmann's articles.It may seem over whelming at first but soon you will start to hear the same buzz words and it will all come together.KG