How can multiple woofers generate lower frequency?

Since single woofer has its limited frequency range then how can multiple woofers generate lower frequency? I am always puzzled by this, please provide some knowledge to clarify my confusion.

Thanks in advance.

Otto
yu11375
Thank you for all your inputs. It is very educational to me.

Happy Listening.

Otto
As a Soliloquy 6.5 owner, I can verify it works very well. I have a pipe-organ CD with 24Hz tones and this speaker can rattle the room with them. I tried this CD on a pair of Avalon Eidolons and they were pitiful. You could hear the 2nd harmonic but not the fundamental. In general, for HT I don't really need a subwoofer, but for the sub-20Hz effects the SVS sub I have does have a little more oomph.

The small drivers also allow them to be very quick on transients. Kick drums, etc. sound very realistic.

One thing is kind of unusual, the 3 bass drivers are not all just driven in parallel. They each have different crossover frequencies. Not sure why this is but the speakers have a very coherent presentation.
I would add to Sean's thoughts that a larger woofer, with its greater diaphragm area, also doesn't have to make as large an excursion as a smaller woofer would. The more cone area you get - whether by using multiple smaller woofers or one larger woofer - the less excursion is required to reach the same SPL. A larger woofer also can (up to a point) use a larger motor/coil assembly, which can handle higher power (dissipate more heat), just like multiple smaller ones. Point being, either way you go (bigger woofers, more woofers), the method and goal are the same: Increase total cone and motor size, along with cabinet size, and it will give increased bass capacity.