Moving to Horn speakers

Hi - i am new to the forum - 45, living in UK.

System: Gyrodec/incognito rb300/Ortofon FL25, CAT SL1 reference, Lumley M120 monoblocs, Proac Studio 150s.

Whilst I am content with this system - I recently had the fortune to hear a pair of Lowther equiped horns, on the end of an 8 watt SET - and was very very impressed. The feeling of being there was outstanding.

I have also seen on a web site a design for a Voight horn, which looks fairly simple to do. I would probably put a pair of second hand lowther units in them(PM6C ).

My question is - my monoblocs are 120 watts pentode/ 70 watts triode - and even in triode mode (my preferred option) will they not be too powerful for the horns.

The end goal - if I found I could live with the lowther horns, would be to replace the monoblocs with a high quality,low powered SET (probably DIY).
laurencedwyer
My response is of a different nature. I live in the US and have a pair of Lumley Signature Reference 150 monoblocks. Could you PLEASE help me and tell me if anyone is still selling these and if there is any chance of getting a part I really need. One of my rack handles broke and the partial handle really detracts from the ability to move these (they are heavy as I am sure you know) and also it detracts from the beauty of these amps.

I would also love to get a schematic to help with any parts problem diagnosis, if there is someone who still carries/sells Lumley.

I truly appreciate any and all help. Thanks in advance.

Bob
Your MFA 120's are very fine amplifiers especially in triode.You should compare them head on with a set amp "before" you make any amp change.Like push/pull amps,not all set amps are created equal and many have inherent liabilities.Driving my very efficient Tannoy Westminsters...my old mfa's[wired in triode]bested a whole slew of set amps. That said....MY preference is SET, however..I auditioned quite a few set amps that were not really in the same league as the MFA's
The proacs are very set friendly speakers.My system was very similiar to yours..... proac response 3's driven by mfa 120b's[in triode]and the luminescence preamp.You can certainly audition most set amps with your proacs before the speaker change to get a voice on the amps... with the possible exception of the [fabulous sounding]1.5 watt directly heated triode amps that employ the 45 tiode tube.I would think that any of the 300b based amps at 7 0r 8 watts would certainly drive the proacs.Any of the 811 or 845 based set amps will drive the proacs to live volume levels if you room isn't to large.The lowthers will allow you the luxury of mating a set amp that does use the fabulous 45 triode tube and most definately an amp you will want to hear with the Lowthers.
I agree that the DHT SET amps with the 45 triode work very well on Lowthers. I've been running that combination for almost a year now, and am extremely impressed with the results. I think a 45 amp is about optimum for the best results from Lowthers. Not all 45 based SET amps are created equal, and auditioning is a must. Take care to ensure a very good quality output transformer, which will be quite expensive, but worth it.

FYI, I am using a modified version of the Voigt Pipe speakers, and I like them quite well. Some people claim that there are serious flaws in this design, but from my experience, this is a broad overstatement. I'm getting excellent sound from mine. They are easy to make and give good results if made correctly. Get the highest efficiency Lowther drivers that you can afford.
Twl: Your first post regarding Lowther's claim made no mention of "full range" drivers. As such, my response was based on that info. I don't know what is out there in terms of "wide bandwidth" drivers, but there are surely many, many drivers that are WAY more efficient than what you stated. They just don't cover the full frequency range. Sorry for the confusion. Sean
>