Harbeth 40 speakers

R. Green of TAS is forever raving about these speakers.If the are as good as he claims why are there so few dealers,and when they come up for sale on Audiogon they really don't sell that fast. Has anyone heard them and I would like your opinion.
arf
Harbeth has a great reputation in the UK and a growing one in the US. One reason they don't sell quickly in the US is that, although many of us have heard of them, fewer of us have actually heard them. In "shootouts" with other similarly constructed and priced speakers (e.g., Spendor), it is true (as mentioned above) that the Harbeths more than hold their own. I'd love to audition a pair of these myself.
Paullb- how big a room are your M40s in, and what
type of stands you're using?

Thanks for the smartgroups.com info.
I did not purchase the harbeth monitor 40's, so I don't have them in my room, but I wouldn't want them any closer than 4 ft. from the side walls. There is also an issue with the floor and the 12 in. woofer. I believe the tweeter should be at ear height, but I am not positive. I know there are a number of threads about this on the harbeth forum. Lots of people recommend sound anchor stands.

Another interesting thing to note, space wise, is that the Harbeths work very well in the near field, so you don't need much space between you and the speakers if you don't mind near field listening. You can point the speakers directly at you with no problems.

It's great to see harbeth getting some attention. By the way, Sam Telling reviews the HL5's in December's Stereophile. A good review I am told.
Paullb- thanks for the info. I'll try and learn to read
the posts. Enjoy your V5As.
Paul, i understand why you went with Vandersteen 5's. For the money you are getting a "LOT" of a speaker in comparison with that Harbeth -H. aren't small by any stretch-. However, my feeling is that between Vandersteen 5's powered-sub and the rest, isn't such seamless integration. Despite the great reviews, i might observe and hear better, or the reviewer's are lying through their teeth. My opinion is that Harbeth Studio 40 are finest monitors, and one of the finest loudspeakers period.