The Legendary ? Infinity IRS V

Does anyone know anything about these speakers, their current market value or sound quality compared to more recent statement loudspeakers?

I remember hearing them once years ago at Lyric hi fi in New York, driven by gigantic Jadis tube monoblocks, a Goldmund turntable and reading in TAS that they were the holy grail of high end audio.

I am sure not too many were made but I cant recall seeing any for sale.

Was this speaker a real high end classic or just overhyped?
cwlondon
Tubegroover, are you referring to Bill LeGall's pair?

He actually has two pairs in his home. He has put over 1.5 years into each, and I must say that Bill is the most gracious, knowledgeable, thorough, detail oriented person I have come across in audio. He has gone through the speakers from top to bottom. Redoing the drivers(magnets and all), wiring, building his own unique external crossover, and finish. He has taken what was already maybe the finest loudspeaker ever built to such greater heights that it is impossible for me to even think about. One of his pairs was the one referred to at Lyric at the show. I have listened to both pairs, one in the living room, the other in the family room and each is absolutely stunning in every way.

Let me just say something apart from the sound; the finish(14 coats of tung oil! - high gloss indeed) on the pair in the living room(featured at Lyric) is the finest I have encountered on any furniture, absolutely perfect. Furthermore, I am forever endebted to Bill's graciousness and generosity for taking the time to explain to me how to achieve a world class finish. Over the past few weeks, I have used his advice to finish a project I was working on fpr my father. Even a blithering idiot like me achieved a stunning high gloss nitrocellulose lacquer finish. Later, I used the same technique to take a piece of a set I previously did myself from so - so to spectacular. Satin is even easier with two less steps.

The funniest thing is that when I called to tell him the results and offer my thanks, he was tried to instead thank me as if I did something of value for him. This is the kind of detail, knowledge, and kindness this man possesses.

I have to admit that in listening to Might Sam McLain, my friend commented to me that it was better than live. I had to agree. Take that comment with the assertion that I have never really heard a set up get really close to live otherwise no matter the cost. I have been around statement loudspeakers from Wilson, Martin Logan, Dynaudio, and many others, but the Infinity are without peer.

Currently, Bill is selling the pair in his family room. If ANYONE at Audiogon has the room and money to go after these, you are missing a real opportunity if you pass these up. He is selling them for a price that which no one would ever believe, less than A LOT of new loudspeaker go for, statement loudspeakers aside.
guys,

I know this is a way late response but, I would like
to know what was done to the IRS V improved crossover
and does anybody know the default freq characteristics
of a single EMIM driver?

Thanks, Mitchell Erblich : [email protected]
Hi Trelja

Sorry I missed your follow-up. Yes indeed it was Bill LeGall's system I heard which was prior to him starting on the pair he had in the Living Room. What I found remarkable about Bill, a genius of sorts, is his intuitive knowledge of what to do to get a particular result. He explaned to me that he doesn't understand himself how this process works other than it is kind of a built in, he just knows. He says he has been like that his whole life so it is more than just experience.

The pair he had in the set-up I heard actually belonged to Arnie Nudell. I too have heard many remarkable systems through the years but it is Bills gift and the absolute quality of the IRS 5's that made this system so special. He claims to be not an audiophile but a speakerphile! The rest of his home looks like a vintage audio boutique with no less than 5 wonderfully matched systems in various spaces throughout his home. He and his wife Loretta are among the most charming and gracious people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting.
I have a set of Infinity IRS series III that have been VERY heavily modified and rebuilt from the ground up - new, much more intense cabinets, extra servo amps, Series V EMIT tweeters (modified) and Series V EMIM diaphragms (modified), Magnaplaner Tymapni III-B mid-bass panels (modified) added into the diffraction wings, and on and on...

The EMIMs in the IRS Series I, II & III operated from a little over 100 Hz to 5,000 Hz. The Series V (there was no Series IV) operated up to 6,000 Hz due to a lighter diaphragm. IMHO the EMIMs are not terribly comfortable operating down to 100 Hz which is why I added the Maggies and now have the EMIMs starting at 225 Hz. EVERYTHING about the EMIM's performance has been significantly improved because of this. I have applied compliant ceramic to selected portions of the EMIM diaphragm which also aids in reducing resonances and improving transparency. In addition, I have introduced another damping material into the hollowed areas behind the front and rear ABS faceplates which also significantly reduces sonic problems.

For a number of years I offered modifications to EMIMs and EMITs for owners of the IRS, RS-1 series and RS-2 series speakers.

Best,

Barry
Tubegroover, your statements are 1000% right about Bill and Loretta! I think they are truly the finest two people in high end audio period.

I was over on Saturday afternoon because Bill wanted me to hear the ASL 1009s driving the mid/tweeter columns. Wow! Do those double 845 tube amps sound absolutely huge in his system. My goodness! The difference in thump between them and his old Fourier OTLs is night and day. The detail of the ASL were as good as things get.

Then Bill called me Tuesday night to tell me that I NEEDED to come over again to listen as he had improved the sound to a degree that I would not believe. He changed out all the wiring(not the stock wiring - it actually came from some application in the World Trade Center), which he claimed to be absolute junk and had two 10 ohm resistors in parallel to the midranges. Cutting one resistor out brought the resistance up to 10 ohms and satisfied him in taking the edge and the relentlessness off the sound.