Woofer damage from new Star Wars THX DVD?

Both woofers in my JM Lab Utopias blew with the THX intro (exploding sphere) on the new Star Wars DVD. Happened at normal listening level through my Theta Casablanca II/VTL 7.5 preamp/Halcro dm58 amps. I've not blown a driver in over 30 years of being an audiophile. I've heard that the base was boosted as much as 36db on some of these DVDs. Even though the speakers are under warranty, I'm out $1,200 for a new Focal woofer (JM Lab only covers 1 driver for this kind of damage). Anybody with information or suggestions? Needless to say, I'm not happy about eating this expense if the fault really lies with an overmodulated DVD with no warning about increased bass levels. At the verey least, I'm curious to see if this happened to anyone else. The sound level was high enough that the concern for hearing loss came to mind (I'm a physician and I don't think I'm this concern is frivolous). Thanks for any thoughts or other input.
Ag insider logo xs@2xavimar
sounds like you have a similar setup as me.. apart that I have Wilsons. What I did was buy two subs (left and Right) and put the main on a cross-over at 40hz.

I rather blow my subs then main speakers... BTW.. my Subs bottomed out at one point in the movie.. I think it was at that point

Matt
http://members.rogers.com/mzn50/
I agree with foreverhifi. On video apps I have my subs pick up everything below 80hz. I don't want to overload my mains even though they are quit capable. On two channel or other audio I have the subs pick up below 50hz. This way I don't overload bass on my music and get the complimentary effect with my mains. I am however intrigued by the new stars wars dvd. The helicopter scene in Matrix makes my bones rattle. Can't wait to hear this.
I have played this DVD on both my HT system (Paradigm 100 V2 and VMPS Larger Subwoofer) and on my music system (Mezzo Utopias), both at higher levels than I would ever do normally. The Utopia woofers suffered no damage whatsoever and did not bottom out, though their output was obviously less than the VMPS sub. I can't help but believe that you experienced an amp problem. We tend to think of only tweeters being damaged by clipping but I suppose it could happen to woofers, as well. Sean, does this sound plausible?

I agree that you should raise holy hell with your dealer and with the mfgr about warranty coverage of only one woofer. Absurd!

will
$1200 for one woofer? Glad I cant afford those speakers (big lie). I once blew both tweeters on some Mission speakers with a clipping 300wpc amp. They were almost new and the local super-store exchanged them on the spot. This was 15 years ago, a friend still uses them. Cheap speakers, great service!

I like to run (stereo) 2-way speakers full range with 2 subs and find that occasional dynamic peaks in the lows can over tax the woofers in my monitors. DVD engineers need to get a grip, how loud does a bang need to be?
Avimar..

Sorry about your wolfers that really sucks.
I would raise hell with company over that...
Please do and let us know.. Maybe we all can
help you in some way?

I just tried that DVD (my sons favorite) I
measured with my SPL meter. I set my system
to a pretty high level and tested with an agressive
DVD-A first and was coming in at 100db max.
Then i left volume at same point and ran the
THX intro. I didnt see a jump in DB's but i
can tell you my Velodyne is pretty taxed on that
part. Im guessing its not the DB's that got you
but the fact that that intro hits some pretty
low freq's. Im crossed over at 90 for movies...
works well with my setup.

Its not a party till something gets broke!