Woofer damage from new Star Wars THX DVD?

Both woofers in my JM Lab Utopias blew with the THX intro (exploding sphere) on the new Star Wars DVD. Happened at normal listening level through my Theta Casablanca II/VTL 7.5 preamp/Halcro dm58 amps. I've not blown a driver in over 30 years of being an audiophile. I've heard that the base was boosted as much as 36db on some of these DVDs. Even though the speakers are under warranty, I'm out $1,200 for a new Focal woofer (JM Lab only covers 1 driver for this kind of damage). Anybody with information or suggestions? Needless to say, I'm not happy about eating this expense if the fault really lies with an overmodulated DVD with no warning about increased bass levels. At the verey least, I'm curious to see if this happened to anyone else. The sound level was high enough that the concern for hearing loss came to mind (I'm a physician and I don't think I'm this concern is frivolous). Thanks for any thoughts or other input.
Ag insider logo xs@2xavimar
YOW !!!! This makes me want to run out and buy this DVD just to see how much "devastation" i can accomplish. Thanks for the warning : )

As to the damage done to the JM Lab's, i would raise hell with your dealer and the importer. Ask them how some little "weenie" speakers can achieve THX certification and take the beating while these supposed mega-dollar speakers explode when pushed hard ? Covering only ONE driver ??? Talk about a "K-Mart" warranty.

Personally, i would do whatever it would take to get them to cover the damage under warranty and then sell them. Who wants a speaker that you can't watch movies with ( regardless of the type of soundtrack ) and / or get a hassle from the manufacturer / dealer when it comes time for them to stand behind a multiple thousand dollar product ?!?!?!? As to ONE of the woofers costing $1200, that is utterly and completely ridiculous. I hate to add insult to injury, but it is this kind of stuff that absolutely makes me abhor much of what "hi-end" has become. Sean
>
I'm currious to know what amp you are driving your Utopias with ?
It appears to me that this is another case, in my experience with HT systems, where THE POWERED SUB SHOULD BE HANDLING THE BASS!
PASSIVE speaker systems, LARGELY should not be handling demanding bass from dd/dts soundtracks! I know far too many people play there "full range" speakers as "large" for movies in a "passive speaker system". And it's never going to have enough control over the bass drivers in a PASSIVE speaker to handle bass properly! I can CLEARLY overdrive the bass woofers on a pair of large Dunlavy SCIV's (4 X 12" woofers)when playing full range on some of the movie mixes out there. And I can do the same on other large speakers. I don't seem to have this kind of challenge driving active woofer designs, like Def Tech BP2000's or Infinity Prelude MTS's!!!
I've said it time and time again...."Unless you're using full range speakers WITH ACTIVE POWERED WOOFERS, you should be configuring your speakers as "small" on your pre/pro, and letting the ACTIVE POWERED sub handle the bass!!
The damping factor and control that's possible through PASSIVE CROSSOVER NETWORKS, isn't sufficient for dynamic transparancy in the bass reigion at the very least. In a powered subwoofer, the AMPLIFIER is RIGHT ON TOP of the bass driver, utilizing "TIGHTFISTED" control over the driver.
There's a reason THX has specified a 80hz setting for it's processing between bass woofer and main speakers...because it works!!!!
I bet what happened here was a case of Amplifier clipping, which cause the woofers to overheat and melt the voice coils! What Did JM Labs Say?
Anyway, my theory...
Ooops!..I meant Dunlavy SCV's, not SCIV's!(when refering to the Dun's being overdriven...sorry.
sounds like you have a similar setup as me.. apart that I have Wilsons. What I did was buy two subs (left and Right) and put the main on a cross-over at 40hz.

I rather blow my subs then main speakers... BTW.. my Subs bottomed out at one point in the movie.. I think it was at that point

Matt
http://members.rogers.com/mzn50/
I agree with foreverhifi. On video apps I have my subs pick up everything below 80hz. I don't want to overload my mains even though they are quit capable. On two channel or other audio I have the subs pick up below 50hz. This way I don't overload bass on my music and get the complimentary effect with my mains. I am however intrigued by the new stars wars dvd. The helicopter scene in Matrix makes my bones rattle. Can't wait to hear this.