What size subwoofer to get?

This question is for 2 channel stereo use 50/50 rock/classical music. I have floor standing speakers rated down to 35hz on axis and instead of getting expensive larger speaker want to look at adding "powered" subwoofer to slightly extend bass. Three models are available:
10" woofer 30hz
12" woofer 25hz
15" woofer 22hz
All these models have adjustable crossover frequency cut-off
50-150 as well as adjustable volume. What size is best to get, my concern is getting too much bass that is hard to dail back and becomes overwhelming. Or is it better to get largest subwoofer and not worry, volume control will be able to effectively tailor sound and control bass?

This is my first subwoofer so need some general advice from members who use them, thanks.
128x128megasam
Also...listen to Danner...this is exactly what RIchard Vandersteen has been saying for years...and why Vandy only makes full range speakers...the crossover for sub/sats is just way too high...good advice...
Danner's comments about surface area only cover part of the equation. Not only is surface area important, so is the amount of displacement. In order to achieve high levels of displacement, a "long throw driver" or one that is capable of making quite a bit of excursion is required. This is especially true if one wants to or is stuck using a smaller driver. As such, one can find an 8" driver that actually displace more air than a 12" driver. It can do this even though it actually has a MUCH smaller surface area due to the longer stroke that it can take. The downsides to such an approach are that the driver will be harder to control due to increased amounts of reflected power and may generate higher levels of distortion.

Like anything in life, there are trade-offs involved. You have to weigh the variables and pick the lesser of two evils. It is rare to find any given product to be a "clear cut" winner in every category. Sean
>
I purchased a Sunfire Super Junior several months ago to augement LFE when watching movies. It's been a bear of trial and error getting it dialed in and mated with my Magnepan MGIIIA's. It is switched out of the system for music listening. While you want the thing to produce low frequency information, you don't want it calling attention to itself. After months of different settings, I think I am getting it "almost there". My experience with it is as follows: The Sunfire subs have adjustment for gain, phase, and crossover. I currently have the sub in the corner, behind and about 4 feet left of the left speaker; crossover set at 100hz, phase set at normal, and, the gain turned all the way off -then bumped up "just a whisker". Again I only use it for movie LFE, but it produces the low frequency info from the soundtrack with ease, but isn't just boom and rumble. With these settings, I can't tell that the lows are coming from the left corner as I first could. YMMV.