What's the best dirt bag speaker you have heard?

My minimalist side expects speakers that cost thousands of dollars to sound great. When I find something at throw away prices that exceeds my expectations I am inordinately delighted. I recently put a little system together for our cabin. The goal was that if the system was ripped off in our absence it wouldn't be a great loss. The only store in town was Radio Shack. They were closing out these RCA units with weird bi-direction tweeters. They sounded pretty good so I bought them for $40.00 apiece. Having listened to them for awhile now (with a sub-woofer) I am going to feel bad if they turn up missing next year.
stevemj
The large speaker in my mom's vintage 40s Philco console system has a nice tone to it.
Steve, "RCA" is just the brand name they put on the Radio Shack speakers now. I am guessing that you bought the Pro LX550 or something like that with a Linaeum-designed ribbon tweeter. Linaeum made a really nice little speaker years ago, very clean wonderful sounding tweeter. The Optimus/RCA is a knock-off. The Optimus/RCA tweeter ribbon, however, is thicker physically and does not sound exactly like the original Linaeum. Many many people like them a lot and think they are a steal. I've tried two pair and taken both back. Not my cup of tea.

I dont know of anything better in that price range. At $300 list, real world something less, I like the Acoustic Energy Aegis speakers.
That would have to be the Dirt Bag X-3000's. Best damn speakers Dirt Bag ever made!
Great topic. I currently have NHT Super Zero's in my office and Spica TC-60's at home. Both great buys for the sound quality offered. My best "find" however was a 1973 Kenwood KT8005 tuner for $65. Can't believe how good FM can sound.

Paul
I found a pair of 1976 Large Advents for $65 at pawn shop in very good original condition. I hooked them up to a McIntosh MA6100 that I bought for $500 on the net and a Marantz CD63SE CD player that I picked up on Audiogon for $150. It turned out to be a respectable second system for the money. More importantly it serves as a great alternative to my teenaged sons using my main rig.