I need to be wowed

Next month I'll be starting my hunt for new speakers...new to me, at any rate.
And I will be obsessed...

What I've got:
Arcan Alpha 9
Plinius Integrated 2100i
Analysis plus 12's bi-wire
and shortly HT Pro MK2 IC's
and a *DOUZY* of a room:
http://www.geocities.com/sundaesundaesundae/audio.html
Oh, that room.I think that's the key....I learned early on how much room interaction plays in sound.

I listen almost strictly to classical music....small ensemble/piano/violin/but yearn for large scale to sound
wonderful too. Also listen to acoustical classical/folk/female singers...

What I want:Tonal quality most important....I tend to like laid back/dark sound but needs to be involving and have intensity...
and oh, yes....they must come in black.
What I don't want: Bright tweeters!

Just for comparison I had wanted to hear some stats but have been told there was no way bipoles could work with
in my room....although someone suggested Innersound Isis ....and Gradient(out of my price range)..
I had also been intrigued for a while by Newforms but the fact that most who own them feel the need to do
mods bothers me....I want to own them....not build them...

Any suggestions will be much appreciated!

allegro12
Hi Allegro. Is your Plinius rated at 100wpc. I don't recall.

The first speaker that comes to mind that might fit your parameters is the Meadowlark Kestrel. From what I understand they are relatively easy to drive and aren't bright. I'm not sure if they come in black though. Take a look:

http://www.meadowlarkaudio.com/products.htm

Also maybe worth a look are the Sonus Faber Concert line. specifically the Concerto and Grand Piano speakers. I used to own Concertinos, and they exhibited a very full midrange and a romantic presentation. Oh yes, and they are available in piano black. Check this out:

http://www.sonusfaber.com/index-1.htm

Take care, and good luck!
I'd suggest a BBC monitor (they come in various sizes and prices) from Spendor or Harbeth. Not fatiguing, lovely tone. If you want big scale music to sound big scale then add a subwoofer ... REL (I own) or ACI seem to be the frontrunners. In my experience large scale orchestral works and live performances featuring acoustic guitars played through a PA system are lacking without those low low frequencies. They come to life with a sub. However, since the sub costs at least $1000 and would make little or no difference to small ensemble music it might not be justifiable for you. If you have a difficult room then monitors and a sub might be better than full range main speakers since you can place the monitors for good soundstage and the sub for deep bass without boom.

By the way I also own a pair of Spicas ... you would probably like the sound of Spica angelus or TC50s if you can find a pair .... they're an absolute bargain. Unfortunately the angelus looks very wierd so if your listening room needs to also look attractive then that option is probably out. (My wife banished my hifi to the spare room !) At least our 5 cats can't get in to destroy the speakers.
More to discover