Speakers for small listening room

I need some help/advice for getting the 'right' sound for my system that I have in my small listening room.
The available space is only 11ft wide by 18ft long, and I currently have Kef RDM3's with a Marantz PM17-A integrated amp. I listen to mostly classical and jazz with some pop/rock.
My problem is that given the width of the room I dont seem to be able to get a good soundstage or decent imaging compared to the same set up in a larger room (our main living room where my wife refuses to have the Kefs set up).
Given the size of the room, would I have better luck with a smaller high quality monitor speaker? I am willing to pay around 3k to get something that does more for me than the current set up, and would also consider changing amplification if necessary.
Worst case... is there something about this size room that will prevent me from getting the kind of soundstage that seeems to come with a larger room.
I am kind of new to this and no acoustic engineer, so bear with me if these questions are naive or stupid!!!
peteinvicta1
Pick up those $499 Swans M1s, sell the KEFs and you will have not spent your $3000. The M1s are clean and fast with a great ribbon tweeter that has a wide horizontal and narrow vertical dispersion that may work well in your room. You can keep them while you try other monitors. That is what I am doing and I dont think I will ever sell mine. Try upscale speakers, buy a sub, or upgrade your electronics. You will always have nice sound with the M1s.
My recomendation is the ProAc 1SC, absoultly one of the best monitors for jazz I have heard. Well balanced and detail is the game with these speakers..well worth an audition !

Matt
I have floorstanders in room similar in size to your room. My room is only 16x12x8 feet. My floorstanders are Eosone RSF-600 dipoles (not exactly audiophile grade, but they work for now). I have them along the 16foot wall, about 23 inches out firing into the short length (12ft). I sit about 2 feet from the rear wall, and about 8 feet (perpenticular) from the plane of the speakers. I forget how far part the speakers are, but I think it is 6-7 feet part. With the dipoles, the soundstage is best without toe-in.

I get a much better soundstage with the speakers along the long wall firing into the short length, than I do with them along the short wall firing down into the longer length. also side wall reflections are less of an issue now. Even if I had a bigger room, I'd probably still use the long wall to place the speakers on. I say try it.
I would recommend not buying a thing right now.

I have no idea what your equipment is like, but my room is 12.5 by 18 and have no problems that I am aware of with the speakers on one of the short walls. I have aerial 10T speakers which would be considered large for most rooms.

Move your spkrs out from the back wall so that the front center of the woofer is about 5 1/2 ft from the back wall. Move the speakers away from the side wall about 2 1/2 ft from the center of the woofer.

This roughly should get you going for a more appropriate soundstage. From this point move the speakers an inch or 2 in different directions to maximize your mininums.

-John