Speaker vs. Room Size

Need advice on type and size of speaker for room size.
Room: 10'X 14' X 7.5'H. I mostly listen to "unplugged" style of music and some rock. I don't have a lot of money to spend but I don't want that standing in the way of excellent sound...! I hope to purchase the speakers and build the rest of the system around them. I live in an area where it is hard to audition so I need to narrow my search. Much thanks for any and all help.

Bin
bin
Any good speaker (probably stand mounted) that does not have bass lower than about 40 HZ should be fine. The B&W 805s would be great as Lev335 recommends. I have a pair of PSB Stratus Minis in a second system that I can also highly recommend-- not as refined as the B&Ws probably, but also less expensive.

Some years ago, I put Vand. 2Ces in a 12 X 14 room, and it was mostly a mistake. These fairly large speakers only sounded decent at low volume levels. Cheers. Craig
I, too, agree that you can't go wrong with the B&W805N, but I doubt that you will ever find them used for near $1000. I would stay away from planar speakers as they need a large room to really open up. Remember they fire front AND back.
I am a big lover of B&W speakers for many reasons. I own big B&W's but if I had your room, there is no question, I would own the 805N.
Buy them and you will be happy!
Richard
Something you might find used in your price range, Spendor SP 1/2, should be on your short list also. These "BBC" monitors have been used with great success by many, (down the road you can add a subwoofer for the sub 50Hz magic.) Good luck!
Check out the Joseph 7's.A monitor with decent bass that won't set you back as much as 805's.
I agree with most of the other suggestions here. Stick with something that is "reasonable" in size i.e. no large multiple arrays with drivers spaced far apart. I would also avoid something that is very strong on low end. As such, the B & W's that were recommended should work fine. The "oldy" Spica's ( 50's & 60's ) are VERY well suited for this type of music also and won't set you back much cash either. Any type of "monitor" type speaker like the Spendor's, Roger's, etc... would also be a prime candidate. Good luck and let us know what you end up with. Sean
>