Opinions: Oracle/SME IV/ Monster Alpha2

I'm considering purchasing an Oracle turntable that is in mint condition, but have a couple of reservations...

The arm is an SME IV. Is this sypatico with the Oracle? I thought the Oracle or Graham arms were the hot ticket with this table.

The cartridge is a Monster Aplha2, which needs to be re-tipped. Is this worth re-tipping or should I just get another cartridge. I've had the "buying fever" lately if re-tipping is a viable option this will help slow down the spending (fiscal hemoraging?).

Thanks in advance.
jim
Doug, thanks for the cartridge advice. I need to stick a medium to high output right now. I'll eventually get the phono stage modified, but I just don't want to send my pre-amp back to Audible Illusions since they are notoriously slow. By the way, where did you find SZ headers? Did you order from Europe or find a source here? I have the Euro downpipes and will go with Stebro once the current exhaust gives up the ghost. Really fine stuff.

Kubla, although I'm hot to trot with the new table, I'm thinking about taking it to Brooks for whatever mods I can afford right now. From my understanding, MkIII's with serial numbers after 8135 can be fully upgraded to MkV specs. I think the mod you're referring to includes the Delrin pillars, counterweight and hard acrylic mat. This is probably my limit for now as I've been getting one system upgrade after another lately and need to slow things down. I think the total upgrade to MkV specs is around $1300 -- actually a bargain with a used table. Thanks for the info.
hi jim,

not much experience w/recent hi-output coils - an old sumiko blue-point was used prior to my ortofon. if ya awreddy have that bps, i'd use it 'til a nice lo-hrs hi-end cartridge comes awailable on the used market. (there's a transfiguration here on a-gon, dunno its output). also, ortofon has nice hi-output mc's - dunno the specific model #'s/prices, but yule find some at the needle dr. i tink ortofon cartridges are really nice, even their m/m's...

re: sz hedders, i got in on a bulk order w/giovanni rizzo last year, mite wanna contact him for details. stebro *is* nice, i was so glad when the prewious exhaust finally went away... :>)

re: oracle mods, mine was an original (mk-l?), bought used from a dealer in quebec. i had all the mk-v mods done, except for the motor, as described above. my total cost, which included the 'table, a gnu box for shipping to maryland, a grace tonearm, & shipping, was $1250. perhaps i got a better deal cuz the dealer was across-town from the mfr. if yer upgrade cost includes the motor/power-supply as well, that seems pretty reasonable, but as a cheapskate, i have to recommend the o-l motor/power-supply! :>) good luck, doug s.

Thanks, Doug. I think I'll live with the bps until I can find something much, much better used.

Small world... Giovanni is the only other guy I know with SZ headers. He hangs at the same shop I do, Omega Motorsports. He just did a nice job on his Milano Verde; all-out 3litre, full Evo body trim, etc. His car is supposed to be featured in European Car pretty soon along with a stock Verde and a local 164Q. Keep an eye out.
Best, Jim.
i tink it was zamani that posted foto's of giovanni's car - really sharp! i heard it was comin' in euro-car. i tink zamani also got a set of sz hedders for his werde...

good luck w/the oracle - ewe *will* like it! :>)

doug s.

Now amybe you need a set of SZ/ES30 wheels for your "Il Mostro". Also on the GTWeee6 page, Sandro had access to these and my fav's, restored Ronal A1's, in Switzerland. Speaking of stuff from over the pond, getting ready to restore the Euro bumpers that have been sitting around for a year. Thanks again for the info, Doug.

P.S. What's the rep of Mayberry Lincoln-Mercury (ouch!!!)here in L.A. re: Panteras? The new business hasn't quite taken off yet (at least at the bottom line), but if it does soon I want to be ready ;-) Plus, I have a couple of non-rewarding Alfa's to sell that will help jump start my Pantera or 308GT4 purchase. Best, Jim.