True Bookshelf speakers--which best?!

Due to constraints (financial, physical, possibly mental), my situation mandates bookshelf speakers. Which are best for pop, serious (classical), and jazz. I am thinking of the Merlin TSM. The lowest octaves are not important, however, a big & deep soundstage with excellent imaging is. I have a ss amp now, and I want speakers to mate with a Pass Aleph 3 or a SET amp in the future. Also, the speakers must be good in HT as mains. The bookshelf will allow the speakers to be 2 feet from the back wall and be at an appropriate height and distance apart. I will put the speakers on osiris (or equivalent) stands in front of the bookshelf for the truly serious sessions. What speakers would you suggest?
douglikesaudio
All I am going to say is Proac Response 1SC. Go and hear, as you will be amazed! A hard bookshelf to beat.
norwex B-2 Nisse were specifically designed for placement on a bookshelf or in a wall unit, being 9 inches high (same as a typical novel), while being a High-End speaker! We supply them also in white (black lacquer standard) for mounting on walls with available 4-way adjustable brackets. Read review in the current issue of SoundStage! Their web site is: www.soundstage.com. Click on Audio. You may also want to go to the norwex site: http://norwex.homepage.com. If interested after that, contact Harald Aasland on the e-mail address listed.
We also supply custom made floor stands for them, but with these you should place the speakers closer to the wall, approximately 6 inches. They are excellent for home theater front (and rear), and we have a super center channel with matching tonal quality, and subwoofers. It is all on the norwex web site: http://norwex.homepage.com. Harald Aasland
I have owned and auditioned many bookshelf speakers but have found the B&W Nautilus 805s to be the most musically satisfying. Becuase of your placement restrictions, you may also wish to consider the Revel M20s- they sound great and are adjustible.