Sellers adding for PayPal use is plainly BS

I am just curious, why charging buyer, in such a blatant way, for PayPal service that SELLER is enjoying? If those 2-3% will 'impoverish' given seller, why not including them in selling price? As a matter of principal, i'll never buy from such a seller!
eldragon
Wouldn't seller, that charges that %, be charged by paypal % on top of that? If product you are selling is $100, and buyer pays $103, paypal will charge % on $103, which will be higher than $100? What is the point?
I just had an experience where the debit card that I had previously used charge free (to seller or buyer) on PayPal is now considered a credit card. A seller denied my payment based on the fee charged to the seller. I have asked them for clarification from PayPal; they list a PayPal debit card as a category now. Are they a bank or credit card company?
What do members think?
I hesitated before posting a reply to this thread. It seems to be a "hot" topic and I've been involved in one too many flame-wars in the past.

Let me just say this. Many of the arguments against passing along Paypal fees (beside the legal issue) use department stores and other business' as examples. Guess what. I'm not a department store nor am I an audio retailer. I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys music. The only reason I sell anything is to upgrade; and I bet that this is true of many Agon sellers. So, keep in mind next time you think someone is nickel-and-diming you that many of us are just individuals who are probably already losing money on the item you are buying.
Cant we all just get along? Here's an idea, split the fees. Both parties benefit. The Seller is more likely to sell if someone can charge the fee( we're a nation in incredible debt) plus he or she, knows they have funds immediately. As a buyer it's convenient, plus you also know the seller has recived funds in case of later problems( like no item) so you have somebody on your side.Or if your a seller ask if the buyer would be willing to absorb a portion of the cost, rather than the full fee. I agree with eldragon becuse the seller needs the money more than the item in most cases
When you sign a mercant service agreement with a bank, you are specifically warned that adding 3% is in violation of the terms. Offering a 3% for cash is permitted (sematics). Someone must pay, there are no free lunches! (Second Law) In Asia, merchants almost ALWAYS add 3%, agreement notwithstanding. THey know this, as they, to a man (or woman)will NOT itemize said surcharge. Paypal is, well, not a bank. If the deal hinges upon 3% neither party is serious.