Are most DAC's compatible w computers?

I have an SPDIF output that comes directly off my harddrive on my windows xp based computer. I also use windows media. i was thinking about inputing this into a tube DAC to both increase the sound quality and flexibility in my system configuration.
I wanted something fairly inexpensive... I would like to spend $300 or less and have been looking at Cal Labs Sigma II.

Is this straightforward no brainer kind of stuff or is there something that I'm not thinking of... like compatiblity issues?

Thanks,
Doug
128x128lokie
Ckorody - Thanks for your point of view. Don't get me wrong, I was certainly not recommending (or discouraging) that anyone go out and spend $14K on a USB DAC. I'm not sure where you are getting that price. The two USB DAC's Wavelength offers are the Cosecant at $3500, and the Brick at $1750. Both are tube-buffered USB DACs. The only reason I pointed to the site was for the explanation of the two-way nature of the USB interface. I've never heard any of their products. Should you care to take your puzzlement directly to the source I believe Gordon Rankin is a frequent contributor over at AudioAsylum you could publicly ask him yourself there, or, of course, send him an email. It does make sense to me (obviously)...if there the information is going just one way there is no reference point to the accuracy of delivery from the origin. If two way the device has the potential to check the accuracy of the origin and adjust (buffer) accordingly. It sure seems logical to me. I completely agree that you do not need to spend a ton of money on this technology to get very rewarding results. Thanks for the links too!

Another note as an addendum to your post: The Waveterminal does utilize an internal clocking device. The feed from computer to Waveterminal is indeed USB. From there you can go via either SPDIF or Toslink to your DAC. I've done no comparisons to a USB DAC, but compared to my Muse transport hooked up to the Muse DAC via their proprietary connector (optimal for those two units). FWIW I cannot tell the difference between a CD on the transport and the signal delivered from the hard drive via the Waveterminal (either in Apple Lossless or WAV), at least in the system as it is hooked up in my home right now (currently at somewhat of a compramise in room treatment). I'll be curious to do the same test in my main system, which is currently not set up due to a renovation.

Marco
Thanks, Ckorody. You are right that a USB DAC would be a simpler path than adding a DAC via the Waveterminal. Are there any other USB DAC's worth considering besides the Apogee (without breaking the bank)? Thanks,
I just figured out that I can get lots of great radio through my computer as well. I can now sell my changer and tuner if I want. I am thinking about putting my money towards a really good DAC since my computer is turning out to be the heart of my system. Now that I have ripped my 500 cd's to computer, and have all the album artwork loaded as well, I can't believe I didn't do this sooner. I am rediscovering my music collection and listening to stuff I haven't listened to for years. It would not surpise me if we begin to see a lot of USB DAC's on the market very soon.
Hi guys -

I agree this is the future - I keep flogging the USB DAC idea - powered by iTunes and 6 billion downloads a year versus a declining CD market it seems a no brainer at many market levels...

I too have had excellent results with the Waveterminal - so clean and simple and no power supply. Sorry about the misquote on the Rankin products, I guess you would have to consider him a possible USB DAC - not too much else out there that I am aware of but you should check out
http://www.empiricalaudio.com

The gentlemen is a former Intel engineer and a big time modder who is one of the first people I ever corresponded with about the USB direct issue

Great thread - kudos to all