Is SACD a dead format?

From what I can glean, it seems that Sony is giving up on SACD? I can find no SACD's at my local store, and have to order them online. What a shame, are we all doomed to listening to mp3s in the future?
rlips
I recall reading an article that suggested that both DVD-A and SACD essentially were dead. While both formats have deep pockets backing them, there does not appear to be enough buyers to make either format commercially viable. As the article pointed out, it is tough to ask someone to spend $20 for a SACD when the same disc is available at half the cost in a more readily accessible format. Given the troubles of the music industry, it would seem prudent for the major labels to try to increase sales volume. Sadly, in today's environment, that translates into MP3 downloads and ring tones (WTF)!
never came to life for me....quality redbook CDs sound excellent in a quality CD transport and DAC anyway...never felt the need
I've seen more SACD's at my local Best Buy's within the last several weeks than i have ever seen in the past. Some of them are even current releases from popular artists, not just re-issues of past recordings from has-been's. I typically check the SACD bin's every week or so, so i found this to be good news for folks that enjoy and buy SACD's. Having said that, it probably is a dead format, but that doesn't mean that you can't take advantage of higher quality recordings while you can get them. Sean
>