How important are transports?

I figure this is a pretty ignorant question, but I have never really discussed it with anybody. I have a birdland dac and was wondering how much real difference the quality of the transport makes? Will it have a real impact on sound quality? Thanks.
sean34
If the digital signal is not retrieved from the CD accurately, the DAC will not have a quality product from which to work. People have said over the last 20 years that digital is digital, so it doesn't matter what you use to get the one's and zero's from the disc, but my contention is that this is false. Everything plays a part in the sound.
I have been trying to decide on a transport for my system and have auditioned several transports in my system recently. I currently have a CAL Delta, a Sony DVP S7000, a CEC TL5100Z, and a Vecteur D2. Each of these units sounds a little different in my system (running through a Scott Nixon TubeDac, a Bottlehead Foreplay preamp and a pair of 2A3 amps).

In some cases, the differences are very slight, but noticeable to me. So, if your system is capable, you may hear differences also.

JD
The quality of transport is the most important part of digital playback. I've tried various combinations of transports and DACs and every single time transports made much bigger difference. If you are investing in digital separates, spend the money on a good transport first, you won't regter it.
Also, if you are mainly interested in CD, get a stand alone redbook transport. Universal players never achieve the same quality in CD as CD only transports do.You can get a great used CD transport for very little money these days.......