DAC's for the money?

Hi all,
Having been working for about two years now on my system, which has graduated from entry-level Sony/Inifnity to Rotel, Pio Elite, Infinity Kappas, and a partridge in a pear tree, I am seriously looking to upgrade my digital playback.
I have the Elite DV-47ai player, which I have run for both high-res stereo and digital direct to my processor (Rotel RSP-1068.) I have a Philips burner deck laying about, and am using that as a budget transport (student here!) directly to the processor also.
I have become convinced that I should purchase a good, relatively inexpensive DAC as a way to greatly improve my CD performance. I am after the Musical Fidelity A3.24, which I can get here on the 'Gon for about $650 +-.
Are there any other DACs that can offer me the same level of performance for about the same price? If I had my druthers, I's be able to purchase the MF Tri-Vista series, both SACD and DAC, but, as I am getting ready for graduate school, the cash just ain't there!
AM I on the right track with the A3 24, or should I consider others?

Thanks for imparting any wisdom!

Cheers.

JonB
breitlingdj
You player is actually one of the best players to mod. Makes a great transport. IF you get an outboard DAC, you should consider at least getting the digital out modded and maybe a more stable clock for it. Otherwise, you will not get the full benefits of the outboard DAC.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio
Manufacturer
I have had an A3 24 for a year and a half now (I use it with a CAL Delta transport). I really like, and would definately buy it again. It's hard to go wrong at the current used price.
Thanks guys!

Steve N: Where and how and exactly what should I do to get my player modded as described? I assume you mean the Pioneer.

I have also heard great things about the Birdland, but right now it's just a few hairs above my price range.

I do think I may still lean towards the MF A3 24, especially if I can mod my player with no ill effects.

If I mod the player, how would I connect it for DVD movie usage?

Thanks again.

Jon
Yes, mod the Pioneer.

The Birdland is one of the best-sounding stock DAC's. dAck! is also very good stock.

The MFA3 24 is okay, but not as good stock as the DAC's above.

I would recommend using the toslink for movies - get a good glass fiber cable, such as:
http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/category.cgi?category=220&item=SP-TOC-99HQ&type=store

and then use the S/PDIF output for the DAC. They are both active at the same time and both will benefit from power and digital mods.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio
Manufacturer
OK.
The other DAC's listed are, as stated, a hair out of my price range. I will definately consider the Glass FO cable, as it is reasonably priced.

I'm very interested in the modification process, what is involved and what are the costs associated with them?

THanks !

Jon