What am I hearing???

~~~~Hello,
I hope someone can explain why on some cd's the long piano notes sound slightly warbled. Not the normal vibration from the piano's wires. Am I hearing laser trying to track info on a non-concentric disc? I noticed a lot of cd's data area slightly non-concentric to edge of disc. Shouldn't the laser be able to trace imperfections? Warranty time? Starting to bug me, RATS!

Just The Facts
By
fbi
You don't mention any of your equipment.

My first guess would be your speakers and their drivers potentially not being phase coherent especially at or around the crossover frequencies (most dynamic speaker drivers are not phase coherent to one degree or another).

Perhaps in your case, your speaker drivers lack phase coherence to a larger more obvious degree. If what you hear happens on many cd's and on another cd player.

Second guess is that it could be your cabling is producing a pretty good time-smearing effect.

Third guess would be a combination of 1 and 2.

-IMO
~~~~Stehno, I appreciate you taking time to reply! To eliminate speakers/cabling issues, I'll give it a whirl from direct cd through headphone output. Could I be subconsciously trying to find an excuse to upgrade cd?

Is the laser able to accurately track the non-concentric data without affecting sound? How much would it have to be off center before it started to have an influence upon sound?

Just The Facts,
By
Greetings,
Please excuse me for ringing in with a,some what, related question. What is smearing? What does it sound like?
Many Thanks,
Steve Bennett