Meitner DCC2

I have asked this question in another thread but would appreciate more feedback if any.

That CDSD-DCC2 is great is not much in doubt. My question is with regards to DCC2's pre-map funcationality and specifically its quality.

Would u recommend hooking it up directly to power amps, thus suing its pre-amp funcationality, or by passing and thus using a separate quality pre-amp? If so any in particular? I have Linn Klimaxx 500 Monoblocks.
henryhk
I've had the luxury of A/B'ing the Meitner linestage
vs. my Paramount.

I did these comparisons using the Corelli (McGegan, Harmonia Mundi, lp & cd), Track #2 Nojima Plays Liszt (Reference Recordings, lp), Karen and Todd (Vital Records, lp and cd), and Come Away With Me (Jones, Blue Note, lp & sacd). All vinyl were played through a VPI Extended Aries w/ 12.5 arm and Koetsu Rosewood Signature cart. The Electron Images MCP-1 was the phono stage (no step up transformer required). A Philips SACD 1000, fully modded by Alex Peychev of APL Hi-Fi, was used for all discs. DeHavilland Aries 845G monoblocks drove updated Coincident Millenniums (with Revelator tweeter, current carbon fiber mids, appropriate crossover mods, and TRS wiring).

Findings:
The Meitner was perhaps just a bit wider in soundstaging. Both units presented a deep soundstage with the edge going to the Paramount. Imaging for both units was such that they were both consistent and focused, without instruments and voices wavering or shifting from one passage to the next. Consistently, however, the Paramount rendered better layering with better delineation of instruments and performers relative to one another. Also consistent was the Paramount's ability to convey a more palpable midrange with more body and weight when compared to the slightly thinner presentation of the Meitner. The first Sound unit seemed more tonally and timbrally correct with its ability to capture additional degrees of harmonic characteristics of instruments and voices that make for a more involving listening session. In some recordings the Paramount was also less forward in presentation.

The Meitner seemed more bright overall. At times the DCC2 bordered on being extra sparkly, with more zip. The Meitner was, however, neither hashy nor grainy. Please note that earlier I mentioned bright rather than detailed. The First Sound was just about as detailed or resolving. However, it rendered a smoother, more liquid and more natural highs while not giving way when it comes to air and detail. I felt this is what gave the Paramount a more transparent characteristic. It gave a more pleasant smoothness to the sound giving it a more musical and natural quality to its presentation. I also felt that sibilance were more natural with the Paramount. Additionally, what is remarkable was that the Paramount accomplished this while being as dynamic as the DCC2.

Above I mentioned that the Paramount was nearly as resolving. It is in the area of bass articulation that the DCC2 won. Another shortcoming of the First Sound unit is apparent in the area of bass response. The Meitner's bass was noticeably more tight and controlled.

Mind you the above summary were not night and day differences, but merely differences that were notable enough for me to recall and record. These are both arguably "tier 1" and highly regarded units. I continue to be impressed by the Paramount. It is the best linestage pre that I've heard in my system to date. Emmanuel Go makes truly fantastic linestages (active and passive).

Did the Meitner DCC2 pass? without a doubt, YES! It
presents an excellent all in one alternative (digital
front end, with line stage capability for analog
source, dac with upsampling capability for other
transports, all this with remote control). If it is
in your price range, it must be auditioned. In an all solid state system, it should be carefully assessed.

Hooper... if you still have your First Sound Presence Deluxe, you may want to A/B it againt the DCC2. I will be interested in hearing you findings.

Happy listening!
The Paramount, of course, inverts phase. The DCC2 does not. Since you mention nothing about this in your comparison, this begs the question: Did you compensate for the 180 degree phase difference between the two during your comparison?

Holton Corsey
Thanx for the feedback: look fwd to your conclusions, Lugnut. I am getting my CDSD-DCC2 in a couple of days now. Its been almost a 3 month wait: I live in HK and they had to adjust power supplies for non US customers apparently. Can't wait!
Henryhk,

Do a member search for Vetterone and check out his system. He has a fresh post regarding what you want to know. We both have been too busy to get together since I first posted to this thread. I've been building him an equipment rack and hopefully it will be back from powder coating later this week so we can get together and set it up. I'll be able to hear how this unit sounds with some hours on it then. Congrats on getting this gear for yourself. You will not be disappointed! This is by far the finest digital I've every heard. It's a shame the preamp doesn't have a phono stage though.
Holton,
Great point. Thanks for mentioning it. Yes absolute phase inversion was taken into account.
Regards.