Battery powered DAC

Has anybody tried this new battery powered DAC?

Ack! DAC

It seems to be very promising...
psychicanimal
i have had private correspondences w/chris - wery responsive. he told me he could provide bigger batteries w/an enlarged case for ~$100 more, that would hold a charge a lot longer. he also said he could configure it to easily hook up to a lab-grade dc power supply, of which there are a myriad awailable on ebay for pennies on the dollar. this is what i would likely do, as i cannot realistically see myself *ever* being willing to deal w/a battery power supply. i presently use a ~$1200 hewlett packard 0-20vdc, 1-4a power supply to drive my turntable's origin-live dc motor kit. i picked it up for ~$100, & it's a noticable improvement over the stock o-l supply... chris sez he cannot say for sure how a typical lab p/s would compare w/the battery supply. i think he needs to try one & see - enquiring minds wanna know! are ya listening, chris? :>)

i may have to try an ack!, to see how it compares to my self-modded art di/o. but, to be honest, i don't really have any overwhelming urge, since the di/o has aquitted itself so well against the likes of resolution audio & electrocompaniet cd players. but, the ack! certainly *looks* cool! :>)

doug s.
are you guys honestly listening to only a cd source for 6 hours non-stop every day??? my god, where do you find the time! At first the 4 to 6 hour batter life worried my, then i actually took a log of how long i listened to cds at a time.. usually between 1 and 3 hours per day (for the most part much closer to the 1 hour). Then it was either change to vinyl or do something else. I cant fathom sitting for 6 hours + only listening to cd.. some people are just way more hardcore than me! :)

cheers,
Colin
Sedond is *special*. Ewe would have to go to his house--I mean--year round vacation ranch!!!
I'd say battery supplies are getting more common in hi-end gear for obvious AC noise reasons. My Merlin VSM's use the battery BAM. Most everyone whose heard it would agree the full on battery mode on the BAM is the most desirable setting available. More transparency, blacker background, etc.

Anyone else see the new Sutherland phono stage advertised in the newest Absolute Sound. For $3K you get a unit that has 16 "D" cells ringed around the circuit board. This guy makes superb gear and I'm sure he felt staying away from AC provided an improvement in sound otherwise he would of done something else.
Thanks Chris--I'll look for the "new and improved" unit to solve the recharging issue.

ROOX: I wish I listened that much, but the fact is, the CD player is on that much for background-- cooking dinner, eating, working after dinner, reading and some real listening, too. I wouldn't want to have to suffer with built in DACs during this less critical listening. I've also got enough stuff to remember without having to make sure I put my dAck! to bed properly lest I harm its delicate batteries.

I'd be interested in a unit with AC power that didn't have to be put to bed every night, and maybe a switch for critical listening to disconnect the AC and run on battery power only.