Cd players with variable output?

I'd like to purchase an amplifier and a cd player with variable output so that I can avoid buying a pre-amp. I only listen to cd and don't want to spend money on components that I don't seem to need. Now to the question.
Is the Quad CDP the least expensive "quality" cd player with variable output, or "volume control?"
david_cordner
By attaching directly onto the amplifier input RCA jacks with the Electronic Visionary System (EVS) Ultimate Attenuators there is no need for another interconnect when running directly from CD to amp, as there is no separate passive preamp box. Available from tweakaudio.com. This stepped volume control solution on your amp means your CD player does not need its own variable volume control.
Post removed 
I would only run a cd player direct until you can aford a preamp or passive attenuator. The preamps (variable outputs) in any cd player I have heard are pure junk and take a lot away from even a great cd player. You dont need to spend a lot of money to up the sound quality of the preamp in a cd player. I would even go as far to say by a cheaper cd player and a good preamp or attenuator.
I've now owned 4 different digital front-ends that had built-in volume control, and I liked all of them very much. I really like the idea of a single pair of interconnects and reducing cost by not buying a pre-amp.

Here are the units I've owned. They are in the order of my preference.

Birdland Odeon Lite DAC (needs a CD or DVD transport for use)

Theta Miles (balanced version)

Cary CD-308 (will be selling soon as I upgraded)

Resolution Audio Opus 21

All sounded really good, but each successive rig was a little better. The RA Opus 21 is a killer unit! The Cary is really good for the price and has some other special features.

BTW, having one remote to control the usual CD player functions AND volume, is a major plus.

Enjoy,

TIC
Thanks all of you for your valuable input. There are some great responses to my question that I'm sure will prove to be helpfull.