I am looking for a smoothest sounding outboard DAC

What is the smoothest sounding dac?
Anyone? Must be outboard dac only!

Thank you Gurus!
rapogee
I agree with the dodson 217 mk 2D. I owned one for a year and a half before changing for an audiomeca. It was a great dac and I am considering one for my second system. The sound stage was so wide and deep that I bought it after listening to only a couple of cuts. The audiomeca was slightly smother in the high end and a litte tighter in the base, but the difference is slight. Also, if you have the bucks, several folks are also raving about the new dodson (it's freeze dried!)... Call Ralph and he will sell you.
I'm happy to second the endorsement of the Chord DAC64. I haven't had opportunity to try lots of dacs, but the Chord, discovered entirely by accident through an issue of HiFi+, has made it possible for me to enjoy CDs for the first time.
To my old ears, it rivals SACD.
jp
I JUST GOT A CHORD DAC 64 AND IT BLOWS AWAY MY KORA HERMES and that is saying something.
Ljgj--

Just out of curiosity, what transport are you using with the DAC64? I use a CEC TL1X primarily, but I also have a Burmester 001 and have occasionally used its digital out
into the Chord.

Just to dip a toe into the SACD water, I recently bought a Sony SCD-CE 775 (closeout sale at Electronic Express for $180! Couldn't pass it up.) I know the Sony isn't s.o.t.a.
but my hybrid SACD/CDs sound pretty good on it. I've gotta say, however, the CD layer through the CEC/Chord still has quite an edge on the SACD layer through the Sony. At least I know now that with the present meager selection of classical SACDs, it's not worth spending more on better SACD hardware.
That may change, maybe not...
jp
I use the Electrocompaniet Cd player as my main transport. I also use a Pioneer megachanger and a Mcintosh 7008 6 disc changer through a GW Labs jitter device to the Chord for various purposes. I also have a Shanling tube player and a Sony SACD 333 5 disc changer but do not use them through the Chord. The Chord is so smooth. I like the full buffer setting but vary it to the other settings from time to time.