CD player for a warm system

I have the following set up
Belles 20A pre
Belles 150A Hot Rod amp
Coincident Triumph speakers with matching Coincident Mini Subs.

A very nice warm sounding rig that can be played loud and enjoyed.

I am thinking of upgrading my antique Phillips 880 and am looking for something in the 750 to 1000 range to add some sparkle or slam to my rig.
I have had an Arcam CD 72.Not that big of an improvement.
An Audio Note CD2.1X.Improvement,but for 2500.00 I was expecting more.It was too polite.I became dissilusioned with audio and sold it for what I got it for and plugged the Phillips back in.

Where to now???
Bry
bigbry
Big, give the Myryad Z 120 a try, it is exactly what you are looking for to add some "zest" to your system..really a tremendous player, regardless of price..
What kind of interconnects and speaker cable to you have? I found that some cd players went from dull and lifeless to very good just depending on interconnects. Please post.
I also have an old 880. Really heavy-duty tranpsport. I love the ergonomics and looks. I do mods, so I modded it. It is a lot better as a transport now, but I would not use it as a player. Pretty bad by todays standards. Even modded transports such as the Sony DVP-S7700 are much much better. I realized that the 880 does not compete with newer modded units. It is relegated to my bedroom system.

If you want something that sounds good off-the-shelf and is not too expensive, I would recommend a used Sony DVP-S9000es. At least this one is a good one to mod. If you want SACD, then the choice is the Philips 963 at $400. If you want to spend more money and get universal player, the Denon 2900.
or also the new Music Hall units,,some are being upgraded with better op-amps and stuff...
I have a Philips CD880 that does not work. I recently sent it to Philips and they reported the parts are no longer available. The electronics seem to work but the display does not show any cd movement (no track info). It is probably the laser or transport. I have no use for this unit. Does anyone want it? Just pay shipping.
email directly to [email protected]