Is SACD winning over DVD-A?

It seems to me like there are more high-end SACD players and more software. The obvious answere is a universal player but a number of manufactures have gone SACD. I still ask myself if these will both just sit on the sidelines. Most people can't tell the difference between redbook and MP3.. so what chance does either format really have. With DVD-video vs VHS it was something a kid could see.
btrvalik
You have got it in a nutshell. If it cannot be played on the move either Pod, walkman, or car it will not make it into the mainstream not that high end people want it to. More hybrid discs might be the keep it going answer but Sony doesn't seem to care about that and we are coming to find out because a disc is SACD doesn't make it better - case in point -the Stones collection.
Although both formats can be sonically excellent, I do believe that SACD is gaining a significant advantage over DVD-A for a number of reasons. The larger variety of Super Audio software may be the biggest factor. However, SACD is also more user-freindly and in many ways less annoying than DVD-A. No distracting video display is required to easily navigate the disk with SACD, and more SACD titles are geared toward stereo rather than multichannel audio performance. No matter how much the manufacturers want us to believe to the contrary, most consumers do not have (or probably want for that matter) a dedicated multichannel home theater with five or more speakers to support multichannel audio. Other properties of DVD-A that detract from the listening experience are the often silly and unrealistic surround mixes, painfully slow track access times and an inability to numerically select a track with the keypad on the remote control. Most of the DVD-A titles seem to try to "imbed" the listener in the music, but I (and I expect many others) find musicians suddenly playing behind me to be distracting, not pleasurable. I also believe that almost everyone who has used a CD player is accustomed to being able to select a track from a disk easily from the remote, but that is simply not the case with DVD-A players. While it is "possible" to navigate a DVD-A disk without a video display, it is not "convenient" unless you are willing to watch TV when you want to listen to music or you can tolerate repetitively pecking at the track forward button on the remote while watching a tiny display across the room! As for compatability with mobile listening, look for the next generation of computer soundcards to support both DSD and MLP. I suspect that Sony will also incorporate DSD/SACD capability in future Walkman and car audio products, and that could be the "death blow" for DVD-A.
I'd say SACD definitely has a leg up on DVD-A right now, largely because of the hybrid disks (like the Stones remasters) that are being sold as regular CDs to unsuspecting non-audiophiles. As manufacturing capacity increases, we'll see more of these, including (eventually) new releases.

But even if we get to the day when all disks are SACD hybrids, most people will probably listen to the CD layer, at least most of the time, simply because they'll be listening on a blaster or phones that are only 2-channel.

I agree with most of Thsalmon's points, although I would note that bad multichannel mixes are not unique to DVD-A. As we get more multichannel SACDs, especially from non-audiophile labels, I'm sure we'll see plenty of incompetent mastering jobs. Over time, as recording engineers get better at it, there will probably be some improvement.
"Over time, as recording engineers get better at it, there will probably be some improvement."

Well there has already been marked improvement. With the recent release of Darkside Of The Moon, the multichannel music bar has been set.

The two channel mix is a superb remastering job, and I believe one of the best SACDs out, but the multichannel mix is simply something to behold. I dont think I will ever be able to enjoy the two channel mix again.