Transparent Interconnect Question....

I have an Ayre V-3 amp and a Krell Showcase Pre/Pro and have decided to purchase some Transparent Interconnects 1 to 1.5 meters in length. I understand that these 2 units are fully balanced. My question is the following...

Would it be better to run balanced Transparent Ultra MM Technology or for roughly the same price purchase Tranparent Reference MM Technology with an RCA connection?

Also, how about Transparent Reference MM Balanced vs Transparent Reference XL RCA?

Please let me know. Although I appreciate all responses, I am not interested in knowing other cable suggestions at this point. I have heard at least 15 other brands and prefer the Transparent. Thanks
kmiller5
I can't think of a single reason (in your situation, given your equipment) that you shouldn't choose balanced over single-ended; and not just for noise rejection (which shouldn't be that big a deal for just 1.5m anyway) but because you get so much more signal out of the balanced output of the preamp -- I think that would trump using a slightly less expensive (but good quality) balanced cable over a more expensive single-ended one.

OK, whose gonna take the first swing!?

I agree that noise should not be a concern, but choosing a cable because it is louder at a given volume setting makes no sense to me. You can always just turn the preamp up a bit. Choose the cable that sounds better.

Although I don't think balanced designs offer any inherent advantage in a home in enviroment, if the equipment you have was designed from the beginning to operate in balanced mode, which I believe yours was, then it will generally perform best with balanced cables.

I've tried a lot of different Transparent cables, and even though I like them I've found that a lower level will sometimes outperform a higher level in a given situation. Unfortunately for you this is one of those times where you will have to try it to be sure. Fortunately they can easily be had for prices you can resell without much if any loss.

What I don't like about Transparent besides the high price is the stupidly confusing labeling system they use where you can end up buying less than you thought or an old model unless you really study up on it. A Reference XL is a different cable than a Reference with XL technology? Whoever came up with that is an idiot.
Nsgarch...OK. I'll bite!

Balanced output provides twice the signal, but twice the circuit noise as well. Since signal/noise ratio is what matters you need to find another reason for balanced. A balanced interface avoids noise pickup in the wires, and only the noise picked up in the wires. For a 1.5 meter run this ought to be a non-issue.

FWIW, I do use some balanced lines, including 25 foot runs to my power amps. Why? Because the electronics have that kind of interface. Results are no different from single ended, in my case.