DACs: Burmester vs. Meitner vs. dcs

Any comments would be appreciated.
libor35
The new review of the Meitner by D. Robinson in Positive Feedback is highly laudatory.
the biggest q is burmester vs. meitner vs. dcs vs. mbl vs.
weiss vs. goldmund probably the best 6 dacs in the world
which one is the most analogue and better value for money ?
out of the above, i have only auditioned the dCS stack. I didn't think that the dCS compared favorably to the Boulder 2020 Advance, using the dCS Verdi transport. The Boulder had a far more natural sound, and was every bit as detailed.
To the above we might as well add the Zanden and the Audio Note 4.1x Balanced (we carry Audio Note).

I agree with mikeL that one can tell quite a bit about equipment at shows, especially in excellent sounding systems (one can hear deep into a system a lot more if one's ears do not have to shut down as a result of some nasty noises the system shouldn't be producing).

However, evaluating equipment is like evaluating a marriage partner: they may look and sound good, be entertaining, seem to have lots of depth, and so forth, but it is only after living with them do you really know what they are like. an even then, the system environment has a huge impact on how they will perform.

My point (yes, finally getting to it now...) is that these are all good DACs, I have heard all of them sound exemplary at sometime in the past in one or more specific systems (except the Goldmund DAC, we have only heard their single box player). All of them will sound great in just about any great system - the system will not have to be crippled in order to make the digital sound palatable. It really comes down to flavors, technology, features and cost.

Does the DAC strive for massive amounts of delicately rendered detail? Does it strive for an analogue sound? a natural sound? a pure sound? Does it emphasize bass? dynamic swings? continuousness? Each DAC seems to have a different purpose which seems to be a mixture of one or more of these flavors.

Does it use vacuum tubes? Does it have a variable output stage that can connect directly to an amp? If so does it have inputs in order to function as a full-featured linestage? Does it support SACD? Does it have lots of options to tweak the sound? Does it try to deal with vibration control or is it completely up to you to use external tweaks? Is it upgradable (and do you care)?

Does it have a associated transport that has been optimized to mate with the DAC? Does it look cool? :-)

OK, never mind, they ALL look cool :-)

Enjoy!
-Mike.
I have a good friend who has the means to own anything and pretty much has over the last few years. He has owned the Meitner and Phillips combo but recently sold it after hearing the new Teac Esoteric 70 series in a very resolving system in which they were side by side. He was also able to hear the new UX1 which will be released soon for sale and will obtain that for SACD although he also preferred the Exemplar/ Denon player for SACD. He has owned, Zanden, Weiss, Burmester, DCS, Ensemble, and Levinson and several "custom built units". He feels that the Esoterics are the only ones that approach his superb vinyl set up although at a price. I have to mention my bias since I own the Exemplar and would love to have the Teacs.