Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp
Hi Guido,

Yes, the Aeris has the FPGA but also the AD1895A asynchronous sample rate converter connected to it.

Sure, I understand that your only digital source is the S/PDIF output of the X-01.
To be honest with you, the X-01 requires some redesign work in order to become a good sounding digital transport, at least to my standards. It is also possible converting the X-01 to a CD/SACD transport that will work with the DSD-S via proprietary digital connection.
CD data is converted to double DSD128, while SACD is native DSD64.
The audio quality achieved is quite nice. :-)

Saluti,
Alex Peychev
APL Hi-Fi
Hi Alex, Are you saying that your DSD-S sounds better running direct to amplifiers?, you have a volume control on it?, explain what type of volume control it has, and how it benefits over a pre-amp.

Hi,

What I am saying is that the non-negative feedback pure class-A MOSFET output of the DSD-S is more powerful than any preamp I am aware of and can drive any power amp direct without a problem.

The built in hybrid attenuator with 0.5dB step is completely lossless and offers exceptional sound quality.

The DSD-S does not sound better running direct to amplifiers, your system will sound better without the preamp. :-)

Best wishes,
Alex Peychev
APL Hi-Fi
Aplhifi-usa, Alex, I am confused here, did you make a clerical error?, you said, The DSD-S does not sound better running direct to amplifiers.., Then you said,Your system will sound better without the pre-amp, mmmm, which is it?
Audiolabyrinth,

Sorry about the confusion!

Initially you've asked if DSD-S sounds better direct to amplifiers.

What I tried explaining is that, it is not a feature of the DSD-S to sound better when connected to amplifiers. It sounds as it does regardless of where it is connected.

But with its output stage and built-in attenuator, the DSD-S is perfectly capable of eliminating any preamplifier, except if you need the additional analog inputs (or phono stage built-in), or you like the added coloration/noise/distortions of the preamplifier.

Bottom line, if you have only digital sources, you don't really need a preamplifier with the DSD-S. This will result in purer audio signal path that may be beneficial for many audio systems.

Hope this explains it better. :-)

Best,
Alex Peychev
APL Hi-Fi