CD suggestions and help with Musical Fid. and BMW?

System: Musical fidelity A3 pre and amp, B&W 804 Nautilis, tara 1000 speaker cables, tara prime interconnect, Old Marantz CD changer. 45 days old system.

I love the system on many jazz, rock CDs, but on some CDs and tracks, the highs (cymbols, etc) can dominate sound at expense of mids/lows, making the sytems sound overly bright and unbalanced. Does anyone have any suggestions on CD players and/or tweaks to warm up and balance the sound? I tried the MFA3 CD with some improvement but not enough to justify the price. Also, I would prefer a changer, but most higer end gear seems to be single tray. Thanks for your help!!
jeffsel
These are MY personal thoughts on the question as presented. As such, others might agree or disagree:

Musical Fidelity SS gear sounds "quick & lean" to me, i.e. it has limited bass weight.

B&W's can sound somewhat bright in many systems.

Almost all older CD players / changers tend to sound "digital" i.e. hard and glaring.

Tara's typically tend to sound somewhat warm and smooth but can produce brash sounding cymbals IF the other components tend to highlight that frequency range. Burning of the cables can help this out quite noticeably but is not a cure-all in ANY case. It simply refines what is already present in the cable.

Besides trying to balance out the system a little better, i would check into some room treatments. Paying a visit to Jon Risch's website may work wonders for you and keep some of your money in your pockets. I'm specifically suggesting some of his sound absorption panels or something similar placed at the point of first reflection. DON'T think that you'll get anywhere near the results by using "Pro-Foam" or something similar, as it absolutely pales in comparison. Sean
>
I appreciate all the great ideas. About 3/4 my CDs sound great on this system, with fine balance and bass. The other quarter is where I get the brighter, less balanced emphasis. If the room were the issue, wouldn't I notice the problem consistently, same with the cables/cords?? I'm thinking of demoing a Rega 2000 just to see if it makes any difference. Please keep your thoughts coming.

Best Regards,
Jeff
Plashy cymbals, or the tweeter making itself known/apparent/sticking out, is a common comment made of the Nautilus Tweeter. I would look at the cables also as a fix. It ain't the CD if I am right about the tweeter (in your system). I agree that it would more likely be grain with a CD player along with the wrong interconnects for that player.
most of b&w's latest stuff all leans toward the 'bright' end of the spectrum. I had CDM9 NTs in my second system, they're essentialy cut from the same cloth as the N804s. I had to sell them after 6-months cos the 'brightness' became too overbearing...forget about masking this coloration w/ tubes. i hope you find a solution short of having to sell your b&ws like i did.
I'm new to the sophisticated audio equipment. I appreciate all the different suggestions and opinions, but can tell it'll be a bit of a journey.
Thx,
Jeff