How many bits?

I'm in the market for a new cd player.I've narrowed it down to 2 units.Both have excellent reviews,and are very close in price.One has 24 bits the other 18.Could this difference
have an effect on the sound.I'd like to compare both,but
that wont be possible.
roryfan
Take a more holistic approach to audio. Narrowing it down as you do will not guaranty success in the frivolous pursuit that is audio. The same broad approach works equally well for life in general.
There was a time when transistors were replacing tubes, and table radios and portables were advertized as having some particular number of transistors. The more the better, supposedly. Of course manufacturers quickly picked up on this and started populating their circuits with numerous transistors that basically did nothing. The same may be true for bits.

When CD players first came out, I bought a Mission player simply because it sounded much better than the Sonys, which I gone out to the store to buy. After I bought it I discovered that it had two 14-bit D/As whereas the Sonys had one multiplexed (shared) 16-bit D/As. The Mission, like Philips used oversampling to get effective 16-bit resolution. The reason for the 14-bit design was that the last two bits of then-vailable 16-bit D/As were just meaningless noise, whereas all the bits were valid in the 14-bit units. I wonder how many people bought the Sony because it claimed two more bits?

All things being equal, more bits should give better resolution, but all things are not always equal. Also, there are diminishing returns as you go over 16 bits. Trust your ears.
The statement that "One CD player has 24 bits, the other 18" makes no sense. Players do not "have" bits. The CDs have the bits, and they all have the same number--16 per sample, and 44,100 samples per second. No CD player in the world can give you more resolution than that (with an asterisk for HDCD).

These "specs" are concocted in marketing departments, and there is no meaningful way to compare the marketing inventions of one manufacturer to another--let alone any reason to. It's quite possible that "18 bits" and "24 bits" are not even referring to the same thing. (I suspect the latter may refer to 64x oversampling, but that's just a guess. And I doubt the "18-bit" machine is doing only 4x oversampling.)

Tell us what the two units are, and you will get some opinions.