Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp
Alex- Are the fuses top tier audiophile grade? Do you think upgrading is worthwhile? I welcome your input and comments as I did Steve during my eval of the ODSE.

I do think some weight on top might help with resonance. The feet seamed appropriate, although I was blown away at the improvement upper tier Stillpoints made on my amps!!!

This goes back to my tweak/tube roll vs no tweak issue.
I am trying to compare stock kits to stock kits, just to keep things simpler. The very valid argument is that practically no piece of equipment couldn't benefit from some tweaking/tube rolling and that unless I make every effort to squeeze the last ounce of performance out of each unit I am not giving it a fair chance to win. My answer was and is that the stock unit should perform as intended by its designer as sold. It would make a comparison nearly impossible. My ODSE is stock and sensational!! Could a tube rolled, super tweaked Lampy Big 7 sound better then my stock ODSE? Maybe. But I don't want to go to the Dark Side, or forever will it dominate my obsessive compulsive need to continuously tweak and roll.

I have accessorized with power conditioners and cables, top tier interconnects and speaker wire, and a great rack. My biggest tweak needs to be a better room.

That all said, a weight of some kind on top of the DSD-S to help control resonance is easy and a great suggestion and I will try it.
To all readers - I found some scuba diver vinyl covered lead weights in 1,2,3,4 and 5 pound sizes.

Opinions on what size to buy, and how many (thinking 3 or 4).

Or is there a more audiophile appropriate solution that also helps treat EMI/RFI, emits a tachyon particle deflector shield and increases my Midi-Chlorian count?

I figure they are good to have in my box of accessories. And everyone needs more Midi-Chlorians!!!
Matt,

Thank you for a nice initial write up, and for nice suggestions about the finalized packaging and looks!

Few things, if I may:

1. The unit was double-boxed, but I've asked my brother to unpack it so you can see it with the white printed box. Maybe you noticed that there was no shipping labels or any such marks on the box.

2. We have sleeves coming up for covering the entire unit with the company logo on them, but they did not arrive on time, sorry about that.

3. The foam pieces that hold the two sides of the DSD-S are tested well, so there will be no damage of the unit, even if you throw it UPS style from 3 meters above ground. :-) Of, course, it is always possible to add more foam so it looks even more secure, this is not a problem.

4. Honestly, I find it very surprising that the DSD-S sounded harsh on the top in your system. Maybe it is a good idea to try it with different cables, hopefully not Silver, and preferably non-shielded (or lightly shielded). Experiments with the RCA and XLR outputs are desirable, as well as trying the DSD-S direct to your amplifiers. The other thing is alternating between DSD64 and DSD128 modes and see which one you like better. As I've mentioned in the instructions, DSD128 is cleaner, while DSD64 is more rounded, that can be helpful with some bright recordings, for example. Finally, this DSD-S has barely 200 hours on it, so it may need more, especially after being shipped overseas and not played for several days, as you pointed out already.

I find your comments very valuable, thanks again!

Best,
Alex Peychev
APL Hi-Fi

Aplhifi-Alex, There you go again with the good humor, these days, It's not that often I get a good laugh, you said, There will be no damage to the unit even if you throw it ups style from 3-meters above ground,,, LOL!, my sentiments of ups period, I have went through all kinds of mishaps with ups!, I try my best to stay clear of them, from time to time, I am forced to accept frieght or packages from them, The frieght business model is alot safer bet, like to see them attempt to throw Frieght!, Ha,Ha.
Alex- Are the fuses top tier audiophile grade? Do you think upgrading is worthwhile? I welcome your input and comments as I did Steve during my eval of the ODSE.

Matt, only the fuse marked 1.0A matters for the sound quality. The other one is for the standby power. After trying many well regarded fuses, I have chosen a certain type that sounds best for my application. So yes, you have topnotch "audiophile" fuse already installed. :-)

Please note that the DSD-S is voiced as it is, without additional tweaks.
Adding weight on top or nicer feet may result in different/better sound, but that is something you can do after you decide if you like the DSD-S or not.

Just like Stillpoints made a difference on your "milled from solid aluminum" amplifiers, I am sure that such devices will improve any audio equipment.

Coming back to your comments, the DSD-S can be anything else but harsh.
Maybe the harshness in your system will go away with burn-in but, sometimes, it can be caused by cables or other components on the line, not capable of processing the energy present at the source. This is similar to a pinched garden hose. :-)

Anyway, I'd suggest that you just let the DSD-S play for a week and then listen again. Then you can experiment with cables, for example. BTW, which outputs did you use for initial evaluation?

Best,
Alex Peychev
APL Hi-Fi