Vinyl Cleaning Fluid for VPI RCM

I have a VPI HW 17. I had been using Torumat fluid. I had 2 gallons I bought a few years ago and just recently ran out. It seems they must be out of business because I can not find it anywhere. If you know a source, can you let me know? If its not available, can you give me recommendations on a commercial cleaner that you like with the VPI or other machines(I don't want to mix my own concoction). Thanks for any input.

Ag insider logo xs@2xgarakawa
Garakawa, the answer is yes along with some other fluids that do not contain alcohol. I'd always ask the mfg in any case, though. to be on the safe side. For sure, anything with alcohol will ruin shellac 78's.
Garakawa, I did not account for RRL when I wrote my recommendation. In addition to a cleaner, it also uses a grove lubricant, so it may not be a good idea to wash it away with water at the end. I am not sure how the Carboglycinate works as a thin-film lubricant. This is a highly specialized area of science called tribology; I understand the theory but have no practical experience in it. Sorry.

4yanx was absolutely correct. DO NOT use alcohol with shellac.
Now that we all know that trisodium EDTA is a chelator and a preservative, (as stated by RRL), can we move on?

To answer your question Garakakwa, Brooks Berdan will start production next year, if the info from Rackdoctor is correct.

I'm certain that this is exciting news for you both, given your satisfaction with that particular product.

4yanx makes an excellent point, nobody besides RRL mentions what is used in their product. I wonder what Turomat, for example, uses? Just wondering.

Best wishes,
Jack
Jes45, I wonder about what chemicals are in those cleaning fluids myself.

I understand the need for manufacturers to keep the compositions of their cleaning fluids secret for business reasons, but I also see the needs for customers to know these compositions to make wise and safe choices or at least for their own peace of mind.

Manufacturers list the ingredients in shampoos, shaving creams, and toothpastes and still have no problem with fair competition for consumers' dollars. There should be a way to do the same with record cleaning fluids.

May be we are not as concerned about what we use on our records as we are about what we use on our hair but wouldn't it be nice to know?