wow and flutter

I have recently purchased a rega 3 (planer) turntable,I have attempted to set it up as best I can with my modest resources, ie to reduce vibration etc. I have been lucky enough to be able to purchase a second hand decca stereo check up record (in good condition for a dollar) but the test that shocked me was the 3khz tone for wow and flutter.Is there any way this distortion can be reduced apart from a heavier platter.
mayanitis
There is lots about the Rega Planar and speed stabilty on this forum.Do a search of the archives and you find various approaches to the problem.
Get a rim drive or quartz locked (linear) direct drive turntable. A lesser belt drive will always give you troubles. Don't feel bad, there's multi thousand dollar belt drive decks that will also fail that test!

The test is meaningless as it is merely an objective measurement that does not correlate to music. Music in its essence is ever changing and the ear actually prefers changes in pitch that are interpreted by the brain as more musical in that they keep the brain's musical centres interested and make the experience more musical and not less. This may be counter intuitive, but audiophiles know that objective measurements are more than useless when it comes to appreciating the musicality of a system and the emotional response it can create.
Not bad .. 5 answers and 1 of them attempts to answer the question. How discouraging for this audiogon newbie.