Is there a best cartridge track force gauge?

I have the Shure gauge, a Technics electronic gauge, and an AR gauge. I have seen many electronic gauges reviewed. Many of these are quite expensive. I would, however, consider one were there an advantage. What is the experience out there?
tbg
While I agree that VTF and VTA are interrelated, as a pratical matter this need not be anything to consider on a day to day basis, if during initial set up you pick the mid range of the cartridge manufacturers recommendations for VTF and then set your initial VTA for the thickness of LP's you use the most. Once you have done this, then you can further fine tune the VTF and then the VTA by ear for that thickness of LP, and thereafter only the VTA for record thickness.

I can't imagine that anyone without dog's hearing could hear a difference in VTF caused by VTA changes for different record thicknesses. The obverse would not be ture at all.

Although its going to be considered a heresy on this forum, you can make minor VTA changes when you're lazy, by merely rotating the counter weight on your arm, assuming that it has settings marked so you can return it to its original settings after your done. This works especially well for those without the ability to do VTA on the fly. The key word here though is "minor".
One thing to be careful of with many digital scales, including mine, is magnetic attraction. If I dropped the stylus directly on the platform as Elizabeth does the pull between the magnets in the cartridge and the scale would make VTF far greater than normal. With my scale the attraction is so strong I'd be afraid for the cantilever.

This requires a doohickey of some kind to seperate the cartridge and scale, which secondarily affords the opportunity to weigh at record surface height.
Tbg...I did think of the situation where downforce is applied by a spring. My old Empire turntable worked that way, and I believe it is the best approach because the arm can be mass-balanced so that vibration effects are minimized. With a spring the VTF will be affected by arm angle, but the question is, how much. In the Empire the downforce spring was a multiturn clock spring, and I doubt that a couple of degrees would have much effect.

But I do wonder. Since you have an accurate gauge, perhaps you would favor us with some measurements.
Newbee,very interesting comments.I agree with you,but have some pals that think they can hear the diff in downforce caused by vta,though.I,myself don't have that kind of ego,and cannot,nor do I care to listen that closely,unless I've had too much Pinot Grigio!

I do understand part two of your comments,but,once again you are right.It's heresy.

PS: HI,Doug.Hope all is ok in CONN,after the latest barrage of rain you got.
i use the Winn's ALM-1 electronic VTF guage good to .01 of a gram. i also have the Shure which works fine as a backup.

i agree that once you are in the ballpark it becomes a matter of tuneing by ear....so having exact tracking force measurements is not so critical.

but i do find that having the ability to make .01 gram changes that are repeatable has a value. as i own three cartridges and the Rockport arm makes it very easy to change cartridges; it is nice to KNOW you are back exactly where you were.

another benefit is checking the 'tune' of your cartridge. with such precision i will know if anything changes......and the process of measurement is very speedy......and the guage is easy to read.

the Winn's guage puts the stylus at the same height as the record so you know that the affect of VTA is considered. not cheap but i would buy one again......i've had this one for 6 years.