Rack Advice

Yes it's me again fellow audiophiles and enthusiasts.

Rather than buying and rack stand for my growing audio collection my brother (a professional cabinet maker) has offered to build me one of my own design as my birthday gift. Obviously I know that minimal sides, back, etc are desirable to prevent resonances but I still have some questions concerning materials....

1. What type of wood? Maple, poplar, mahogany, paduc(sp) or some other?
2. Should the rack have spikes for feet?
3. Should the rack be standing on something other than my hard wood floor?
4. Any other advice you may have to offer.

Thanks!

Erik
ndmaitre
correction- 1) should read as maple,BIRCH and pearwood

an edit function would sure be a welcome addition to this board
Ken, we don't need no stinkin' edit function. We just need to make less mistakes : )

Actually, if you go back into the thread and nobody has posted after you, you can go back in and edit the text on your post. You loose the editing function once somebody has responded after you though.

Honestly though, thanks for responding to this thread. I'm still working on my series of "custom modified" racks and the suggestion of woods to use for the shelves will come in handy. These will have to make due until i can scrounge up the cash to look in your direction : ) Sean
>
Sean the edit function only works for the dirtydozen. Everything else passes through the moderators & unfortunately those posts do not allow edits/reposting. Log yourself out, then post & you'll see what I mean...
ndmaitre: i quite agree with all the earlier posts re: decoupling, floating, etc. but suggest you scrap the idea of using wood veneered shelves. get some exotic wood for the posts and rails and use a resonance deadening shelf material, such as that available from neuance/greater range, instead. BTW, i do not own ANY neuance shelves but find them to be designed much like the zoethecus ones i do. (i don't recommend zoethecus slabs w/o zoetehecus stands.)
-cfb
I have seen a good number of racks in my day :) There was a very good thread about this a long time ago, the name was something similar to "dampening or isolation" or "dampening vs. Isolation" and Redkiwi made MANY good pointers for building/buying a "nice rack flo".........ugh, uh never mind just plain "nice rack". If I could find it I would post a link but perhaps someone else can find it. Good luck
Tim