Sorry - a couple more newbie analog questions

I did a search on this but couldn't find answers pertaining directly to my situation so here it goes...

Stupid question #1) When changing records should I turn the player off, or can I change on the fly? My paranoid half is telling me that I might be damaging the other side of the record and/or the motor. I am not using a clamp.

Stupid question #2) When a cartridge is still breaking in what ways does it sound bad? I am noticing sometimes, not always, high frequencies distort - high, loud, short piano or violin notes. Is this normal break in or do I not have the cartrdige set up properly. (Goldring Elektra/Rega RB250) The VTF is set at the top end of the suggested range, 2 grams. The cartridge is factory pre-set, when I checked the alignment with the paper thingy it looks okay. Could this distortion be a software issue, most of my lps are pretty old and I am still waiting for my disc doctor kit. The cartridge has about 20 hours on it.

Thanks in advance!
tooter
First of all - there are no stupid questions, only stupid people. I can safely say you don't fall into the latter category by the simple fact that you've taken the plunge into vinyl!

That being said, if your turntable doesn't have a "sticky" mat made out of rubber, etc. it's perfectly fine - in my opinion - to change the record side without turning the table off. My table (a Rega P5) has the stock felt mat on it and I leave the motor running during an entire record playing session - it's easier on the motor and if you're records and mat are clean you should have no problems.

The other problem you're having I'm inclined to say is probably software issue, but I'll be curious to hear what others have to say about it. I've got a couple of discs that this happens on too with my Rega Exact cartridge and I'm fairly certain it's the pressings since it's not consistently a problem.

I was originally concerned that the Exact cartridge could have been overloading my phono-preamp and causing the distortion but have since learned that the phono-preamp has plenty of headroom to accomodate the cartridge. This might be something you want to check on though since the Goldring cartridges are very high output MM's as well.

The only other suggestion I would have would be to keep playing to a minimum if the records are dirty until you get your cleaning supplies.

Have Fun!
Tooter, I agree with Slate1: there are no stupid questions. I'm glad to see you asking!

Your concern about about changing records on the fly is appropriate, and I think Slate1 is spot on in his reply to you. They key factor is whether you can gently levitate the LP off the platter without the underside of the LP dragging (which would not be a good thing under any circumstances).

As to the high frequency distortion, it could be the cartridge still breaking in (the cantilever suspension material still limbering up). Or, it could be that the LP needs cleaning. Or, it could be that the VTA is set just a bit low for those LPs (my vote for most likely candidate after cleaning). Or, it could be that the LP is damaged from prior cartridge mis-tracking. All of these conditions could result in the occasional high frequency distortion you describe.
To follow on Rushton's last paragraph, it could be that some of the other set up criteria aren't spot on, i.e. asmuth and overhang. If your cartridge is properly set up you shouldn't hear much if any distortion. Brightness, lack of bass, for lack of a better word musicality, unless the problem is in the records.

I'm going to disagree with the others about removing records without stopping the TT. Forgetting the fact that this begs for an accident of some type, the mat will be sweeping the record as you pick it up and put it down which can cause static electricity, which can produce unnecessary noise. Better to take your time, relax and enjoy the music.