Why does my computer sound better than my CD player?

My system consists of a NAD C340 integrated amp,Cambridge Audio D500 CD player,Onkyo Integra CD changer and NHT 1.5 speakers. I use Kiber Kable 4PR speaker wire and Audio Research Pro interconnects. The problem is my system sounds too bright and fatiguing for me and my friends when used with either sources. Don't blame on the NHT because when I switch source to my computer through a cheap freebee mini-jack to RCA plug wire,the sound is much smoother and crystal clear with improved soundstage and great balance(defintely non-fatiguing).My computer sound card is SoundBlaster Live! Could you explain the reason?-Sylvester
sly
I found the Cambridge Audio CD player bright and harsh when I auditioned it. As others have suggested, see if you can try yet another CD player.

- Eric
I was not suggesting the Cambridge is bright. It is right out of the box new (but so is every CD player), but after 100 hours it is fine. There are reviews on the Cambridge in Stereophile, HiFi Choice, and Audio & Video Lifestyle. None of them found it bright. They all recommend it. I can't think of another under $500 machine worth considering. The power cord comment comes for the fact that the bass is a little bloated IMHO with the cheap AC cord they give you.
While i don't know about the 500, i know that Listener magazine REALLY liked one of their earlier models. They basically said that it was "THEE" budget cd player to beat. Sean