the unaccompanied voice

i’m partial to a cappella singing in a several genre. i’m hoping i’m not alone in this and, thus, seek recommendations of such performances from my compatriots on the ‘gon. let me begin with a listing of a few recordings that are among my favorites:

• fairfield four; almost anything, but particularly “standing in the safety zone” and “I couldn’t hear nobody pray.”

• the persuasions; “frankly a cappella” (a tribute to zappa) and “might as well” (a tribute to GD)

• the bobs; “...cover the songs of”

• “the unaccompanied voice” (secretly canadian cd)

• the roches; “the roches”

• chanticleer; “colors of love”

• anonymous 4; “11,000 virgins” (hidegard von bingen), also , not quite a cappella but beautiful “voices of light” (richard einhorn)

please share some of yours.

-cfb
cornfedboy
Kelly,

How about a wonderful plain chant? Try "A Feather on the Breath of God" with Emma Kirkby. Hyperion CDA66039. Engineered by Paul's and my e friend, Tony Faulkner, of Green Room Productions, UK.

Another recommendation is "Musica della Cappella Sistina" (Music of the Sistine Chapel,) Tavener Consort, on EMI
CDC7 47699 2.

One more: "Laudate!," featuring Anne Sofie von Otter, on Proprius. PRCD 9100. (This has some 17th century instrumentation, but is a winner. I promise.)

Music that could move an athiest!

Charlie
Charlie, I only find one of your recs at Amazon. Do I have to go to Borders?

Sadly, I find I'm only interested lately in classical or music with a driving beat. I still haven't opened the last Alison Krauss cd, bought on Sept. 10.
Anything by the Kings Singers. I've had the pleasure of performing with them twice (music composed for them and chamber chorus). I will never forget it.

Rachmaninoff Vespers (All-Night Vigil); Robert Shaw, Telarc CD-80172.

Morten Lauridsen (Composer) is great! Sounds like it could be 16th or 17th century, but is modern. Morten is alive and well and living in Los Angeles. Get the CD "Lux Aeterna" and more on RCM#19705. Samples at Amazon.com.. Love to sing his music. The CD includes his "O Magnum Mysterium" which is the best selling piece of choral sheet music in history.

paul: just take the allison krauss cd one step at a time. you can open it but not play it. you should, tho, read garfish's latest thread: "it's been an allison kind of month." ain't it funny how one end of the universe always connects to the..... oops, sorry, just let go. see you all tomorrow. or so i hope.

-cfb
I've been a fan of Alison Krauss since she was a teenager. Have all of her lps/cds including the Tony Furtado cd with "I Will." When I listen to Heaven's Bright Shore on the second or third or fourth lp (have it on cd) I am always thankful that she shares her gifts with us. Sweet, sweet girl, a gift from above.