cartridge loading ?

it sounds to me as if the level increases as i increase the load on my cartridge. furthermore, it sounds as if i get some attack distortion,like a solid state stomp box for guitar, when i increase the loading above 1000 ohms. if the loading is an increase in resistance, why don't i experience decreased volume/level as i increase the load and why don't i get a muffling of the attack rather than transient distortion? am i completely confused still about cartridge physics/electronics or do i have middle age ear disease?
thanks,
jon
jwblaschke
Hi Jon, I had that nasty flu a couple of weeks back. I'm STILL feeling the residual effects. Hope you're feeling better.

I'm confused. I looked up the Koetsu Onyx on the Elusive Disc website. It states that it has an output of 0.2mv. Is this cartridge offered with an "optional" ouput of 0.6mv also? Is the information I am being provided incorrect?

The difference between those two figures is somewhat significant. A 0.2mv output would require an optimum gain of 64db vs. 55db gain with an output of 0.6mv.

If your Melos is providing you with either 54 or 78 db of gain, you could now understand why you are using the lower output setting. A 0.6mv cartridge output would work almost perfectly with your 54db phono gain stage setting as (by the numbers) it would actually require 55db. You are really not going to get any closer than that. BUT, if it is in fact a 0.2mv output, it would also explain why you are experiencing the sound characteristics you described in your original post.

I think now you can see why I use my little calculations/formulae. THEY WORK! It helps to take all of the guess work out of these equations. They allow you to make a more accurate selection of cartridge/phono pre right from the very start or, in the very least, give you a closer approximation of where you need to be. (Measure twice, Cut once)

If you could, recheck your cartridge output. After that has been firmly established, we can then address the capacitance/operation issues.
my koetsu is an old onyx( 5 yrs) w/ an output of 0.6 mv. the 0.2mv output is for the new platinum coils.
altho it seems counterintuitive to me that increased resistance should lead to increased output, i guess that's why they call it ohm's law instead of ohm's clever idea or the like. since it appears my taste (&/or hearing loss) lead me to a peaky output preference (altho it seems to me brighter & "airier"), am i doing anything destructive to the suspension of my cartridge running it into 390 ohms?
i should add how much i appreciate this forum. i can't guess how many years it would take me to make any sense of this material without the expert & experienced help available here.
thanks,
jon
Jon Re; Onyx cartridge output. That would explain it.

And No. The suspension of your cartridge would be unaffected by load and is not considered adverse.

And, it's been a pleasure, Ed.

Happy Listening.