Has anyone heard the Shunyata Cables?

I'm looking for opininions of people who have heard or have heard of the Shunyata speaker cables and interconnects the Lyra and the Aries. I am currently using Cardas Golden Cross speaker cable and interconnects from Pass Labs X250 to Hales Transcendence 5's and Pass X1 pre to Pass X250 and Talk Thunder CDP to Pass X1. I am thinking of going the Shunyata route.Any inputs or advice would be geatly appreciated.
128x128mitchb
Hi Nighthawk,
The reason I'm switching is that after upgrading my source, I've come to the decision that I may want to listen to more of my components and less of the cabling. It is my hope the Shunyata will give me a more"honest" less colored sound than the Cardas Golden Cross. The Cardas are very good but I'm looking for a more detailed less "bloomy" sound. I shall try the Shunyata and hope for the best.Thanks for your responses.
I have the Aries interconnect, and I have to say, I don't find it to have a "rising high end" and I own Revelation 3s (Hale), which would certainly demonstrate that effect.
For the heck (and to get a longer length), I just bought another length of Nordost Quattro Fils today so that the system will be completely wired with Nordost (which DEFINITELY does not have a 'rising high end.' After I put it in the system, I'll be able to tell if the prominence I have in my system in the upper midrange is due to the setup (temporarily in my basement with hard walls, which are somewhat covered but still...).
I had the Shunyata Phoenix speaker cable, by the way, for two weeks, but returned it. The reason: I had two weeks to evaluate it and I couldn't break it in in that time period (the basement got a little flooded for a day or so) fully. In fact, Grant at Shunyata, during a conversation with me, suggested I hadn't really broken them in (I heard a slightly glassy sound) because I'd been playing them at 40-50 db for most of the time. That, he informed me, translated to about 70 hours of break-in time, at which point the cables would be dull, with little in the way of low-level detail. Given that I'd taken the power cord to a former music producer's home and tested my Arcam FMJ 23 against his run-of-the-mill dvd player, and hear what the CD player (and, by extension the power cord [Python] was really capable of, I don't doubt that Shunyata's speaker cables are excellent.
As for wanting more "warmth," I don't think that should be the "job" of the component. In fact, having both Nordost AND Shunyata, and having compared the two interconnects, I would say the Nordost (Quattro Fils only!) are lacking warmth. The Aries interconnect never seemed "cool" or lacking in body - EVER. Shunyata designs strike me as being VERY aware of "body" and "warmth" in a cable. The Phoenix was NOT lacking warmth, but I didn't expect romance; I just didn't want a "cool" sound. In that respect, the Shunyata delivered just fine. I'm going to listen again after I get my Antique Sound Lab Hurricanes (in July) and borrow the cables for a couple of weeks to see how they "deliver" the music then. I could only listen with my Antique Sound Labs 1003, a 30-watt Class A design, and, with an 87db pair of Hales, I was concerned about the volume I could get. But, the basement walls are very hard, and they certainly contribute to the upper midrange glare I get sometimes. I know that, because I've gone to Home Depot and bought wool rugs, put them on the wall, and the glare decreases. I wonder if others who complain have a properly damped room. Many of us are pretty blind to how much a room can color the sound, so we buy better components without realizing we need to damp the ceiling, walls and floors before we can fairly evaluate a product.
I think the Shunyata cables are just fine, unless you want the crystal clear transparency of the Nordosts, which, from my experience, "lighten" the lower midrange and upper bass just a little (just a thought).
If you want to hear more of your system, but less of the cables, I'd go for JPS Superconductor 2. If that's too rigid, then settle for the FX. I too wanted to have some of the Cardas sound and the alternative way to do that is to use the Golden power cords. Their pcs give the same signature, but to a lesser extent than their ics or spk cables.
I recieved the Aries interconnects a few days ago and I truly think they sound awesome. In my system they are far superior to the Cardas Golden Cross.
I use both the Aries and the Andromeda in my system (CAL CL-15 cd player and Linn Twin Klimax with Martin Logan Prodigys) and I have to say it is some pretty fantastic cable. Perhaps its biggest downfall is that it is very honest. In the fashion of Nordost, it is quite neutral and fast, but doesn't have the bleached out sound of Nordost (my previous cables). The first comment I made after having listened to the interconnects broken in was that they have an 'organic' sound to them, and have since heard similar comments made from others using these cables. The amazing thing is they are quite inexpensive compared to so many other products which don't even measure up to their performance. I even compared them once with Transparent Reference Balanced ($4000/meter) and I can't say I had any desire to change. In regards to the comment one writer made about break-in time, I will have to agree. The Andromeda took well over 100 hours to fully 'get right'. Nonetheless, when they did, they were right!