VTA adjustabilty...

Wow,,,I went with my 2 versions of ELP's pix at an Exhib, to compare in a better rig than mine. I was unhappy with the brand new Speakers Corner 200g vinyl,,,it sounded like a CD, not nearly as life-like and relaxed as the MFSL version..
Well, it turned out that the guy at the shop showed me what happens when you compansate for the thickness of the vinyl...the difference was very noticeable,,,the 200g LP became more delicate, more enjoyable to listen,,more like the MFSL...

In a Nutshell, my next TT may be a VPI scout,,,which I enjoyed at the store quite a bit,,,and FOLKS, dont forget about VTA adjustablity if u can afford it!!
jsujo
I recently bought a Music Hall MMF-5 in a 20+ year return to vinyl, and monkeyed around with the manual VTA adjustment (via loosened hex screws) after getting it fit with a Sumiko Blue Point Special cartridge and a thicker mat.

I did notice a difference in sound quality with varied VTA settings. But then I read a recent Michael Fremer column in Stereophile, in which he advocated a "set it and forget it" tactic.

Using a 180 gram disc, he visually set his VTA and left it there. I've followed suit, and find that I get great sound from my old lp's as well as new 200 gram albums.

I've heard of expensive turntables with adjustable VTA via remote control, but for now, I'll stick with my MMF5 and Fremer's suggestion.
Listening to vinyl you will occassionally find the performace lacking this is typically when you will want to change the VTA.

I have found some thick vinyl that likes a flat VTA and thin that likes a high VTA. To simply make the statement that leave it, or thick raise and thin lower this is missing out on the complete delivery of sonics from your system.

Jsujo, you heard with your own ears what Fremmer and most others agree is a very important ingredient in making an analogue rig sound its best.

Beatnik makes a good point, his system isn't highly user friendly unless you care to loosen and nudge the VTA to a different setting to find ideal VTA. In this instance it makes sense to find the optimal compromise and live with it.

Remember, enjoy the music.
For those of you with fixed VTA, other than my condolences, I offer you a possibility (compromise) not often mentioned - When you set the tracking force, use the mid-range recommended by the manufacturer and the VTA for a 180 gram disc. When you play a 200 gram disc just increase the tracking force - when you play an old thin disc decrease the tracking force. (Or set the VTA for the majority of your records and vary the tracking force to compensate for the change of thickness of the record.) This is NOT an optimum setup, but you might be pleased by the result obtained with minimum effort.
More to discover