Audiomecca Mephisto

Anyone heard the Audiomecca Mephisto transport?
gladstone
The Mephisto is lacking in pace, dynamics and that sort of thing.....Pretty doesn't tell you how drunk the players are and the mods will get you most of the way there in terms of pace and immediacy.....G&D used to charge about $650 for the whole shooting match, but stopped taking the units in for mods.....Probably worth about $800 or so today for new clock, output board and power supply revisions and suggest you talk to G&D (see above for email and phone number) to see if they have someone they would recommend.....
How about you Mr. Crump? Would you be willing to do the upgrades. I know you can do the job. You have some of the finest cables and power cords. I have not heard that preamp yet.
I don't take in mods on unfamiliar units and the reason was rammed home again this weekend as I spent seven or eight hours getting a GamuT amp to behave......That surgery was a success BTW, but the owner lives in town......I would keep after Tony DiGiovine and he will probably think of someone who is qualified to do a mod on your Mephisto....Tony and I spoke the other night and lots of names popped up, but nobody with the experience necessary to do the work....Keep after Tony via email and maybe he will feel like taking in mods again one of these days.....

Our preamp buttons say it is "Better than sex and almost as good as Bar-B-Q", but it is probably all hype anyway :-)
Hey Bob, get off the internet and finish my Blowtorch. I'm anxious to see if the claim is true. Since I'm not particularly fond of BBQ, guess the odds are in my favor, no? Doc
A great component modifier has the ability to compress into a few hours a transformation of circuits that originally required years for their development. On most Japanese mass-market CD players, for instance, one can significantly upgrade the sound by installing a power-filter, outboarding the transformer, replacing the op amp output chips (one typically finds two standard Japanese op amp types: 4558, and 2114, which can easily be replaced by a Burr Brown OPA 2604), and replacing the output capacitors (usually in Japanese products there are Silmic 100 microfarad caps sitting right in front of the output connection, which can be replaced by a polypropylene WIMA MKP 4 10 microfarad for a few bucks, or if you want to spend more a Jensen or Hovland). I have taken a look inside the Mephisto II transport and the electronics (all situated on the left hand side) are slightly-modified C.E.C. electronics (Audiomeca outsource their electronics to Japan) and not as messy as one might think. If you find someone with experience modifying C.E.C. transports, they should have no problem with an Audiomeca unit. I have not yet got in touch with G&D, nor fully analyzed the circuit board, but my first impression is that there are definitely some places where the Mephisto II can be upgraded: power supply (definitely yes, thank god it is already outboard) caps (definitely yes) clock (definitely yes, but I think the pacing of the mK. II unit is pretty good without this) chips (yes, within limits). The C.E.C. circuits are better than mass-market Pioneer and Marantz, so the upgrade materials will be a little more expensive than an upgrade of the latter (I would say $300), but the work will require patience (caps will have to be relocated). What you will be left with (I expect, given my experience with isolation, PC, and resonance control on the Mephisto II) is a unit that is almost no comparison to the stock unit in immediacy and dynamics: just as Rcrump said. BTW, the laser is modified Sanyo still in production, so there is no chance in the near future (perhaps a little later, given the unstable Japanese economy: how are Sanyo stocks doing on the Nikkei?) that these lasers will be out of stock and Mephisto II owners will be left with a lovely piece of junk when their lasers burn out (as they will some day). In any case, the modified lasers need to be obtained from Audiomeca, since they specially weighted them and a stock Sanyo will not do.