Is anyone else getting annoyed with...

dealers posting tons of ads for new gear at MSRP in the classifieds? One outfit from Cambridge MA has 16 ads for Nordost Cables in the classifieds instead of the "buy it new" section. They are not building any good will by wasting my time as I page back and forth through each. Yeeeshhh!

C.
fly_fish_nz
Brian,
You made a number of good points. Here are a few observations:

-a single ad per line, listing models carried would seem to suffice for a retailer.

-perhaps others find the new "new" designation useful, but personally I hope it does not lead to more ads of the type I described. Consider what a useless mess the classified section would be if every retailer listed an ad for every model of every line they carried.

-As you mention, Audiogon has a few other, albeit perhaps more expensive, avenues for retailers to advertise new equipment. I had always thought, perhaps wrongly, that the classifieds were primarily a section for advertising used gear.

-You are absolutely right: this was a rant! (I am not looking to become anyone's marketing consultant.)

-I purchased 80% of my equipment and cables new, including a Bel Canto Dac I bought from you, and with which I should mention I received great service. Whether or not other potential customers might also get a little annoyed at paging through these types of ads, and whether retailers are concerned, I cannot answer.

Thanks for the info.,

C.
Audiogon is supposed to be a Public Form. Same rules for everyone. Maybe Audiogon would consider a section for "NEW" equipment. Or maybe thay could create some criteria that each member would fill out. Kinda like a dating service, but for audio. Then if a member only wants to read a certian type of add, only those would appear when you brouse. You could choose a Blonde or Redhead.

Kinda sounds like FUN!!!
I'd like to weigh in on the "they got you to look" notion. This equates somewhat to the "how stupid can we make the ad" approach on television. If your attention is grabbed, it is considered a victory by many. In my case, at least, "getting me to look" and/or "grabbing my attention" only stells my resolve NOT to buy from that advertiser or patronize their product. In the case of the classifieds on 'Gon, it reduces the desire I have to "graze" there.

If this advertising spam doesn't bother others, fine. If it does, don't buy from them and let the "powers that be" at the 'Gon know of your distaste for the practice.
Some dealers (and individuals) are posting ridiculously cheap prices for used equipment and then "or best offer" ($10.00 OBO). Turns out that what they are doing is running AN OPEN ENDED AUCTION (no ending date) and taking offers with a bidding-up process!!! This is a sleazy abuse of a "for sale ad" and should be posted correctly as AN AUCTION, NOT AS A FOR SALE AD! I wonder why Audiogon has not taken any action to prevent this abuse?
Fatparrot makes a good point. Another is those ads similar to a currnet one under dealer demos for tube amps. "Someone's lucky day, special price, $1.00". Then following the links takes you to a $19,900 retail amp for the bargain price of $14,995.

All this brings up the possibility that ad postings might be better segmented on the 'Gon. On the other hand, I appreciate that things should be as open as possible and that people and dealers should act within a certain, self-enforced decorum, without resorting to the use of a "heavy hand". Most individuals and dealers here are as honest as the day is long (though my days seem to be short!) and "rogues", as always, ruin it for the rest. Guess the best we can all do is be careful, do our homework, and ignore those ads we don't like or are too good to be true. A pity that some of these ads ARE a total waste of everyone's time or are but a lure to "get your attention" and sell you SOMETHING.