OK to play 78s with elliptical stylus?

Hi, I just bought an old, used Dual 1209 tt so that I can finally play 78s, but the only spare cartridge I have on hand is an old Audio Technica and I believe it has an elliptical stylus. Will this actually damage 78 rpm records, or is it okay to use it? If it will damage the records, what are suggestions for a cartridge that will mate well with the Dual? Thanks!
plato
I have the Sure. It is very good. It has the bridges for mono. And cocobolo is poisonous, hee-hee. Just don't forget to clean your records. And finish with Last preservative.
Oh boy, EQ too?! You mean there's some special equalization for 78s and a standard phono stage cannot be used with good results?
Plato...Get a cheap equalizer. I'm sure that different brands of 78's used different equalization, just as did different brands of LP's in the early days. The equalizer only needs to make up the difference between the standard RIAA equalization in your preamp and whatever the 78 was made with.
Sounds right, Eldartford. I have an old Dynaco equalizer that I may press into service for that purpose.