OK to play 78s with elliptical stylus?

Hi, I just bought an old, used Dual 1209 tt so that I can finally play 78s, but the only spare cartridge I have on hand is an old Audio Technica and I believe it has an elliptical stylus. Will this actually damage 78 rpm records, or is it okay to use it? If it will damage the records, what are suggestions for a cartridge that will mate well with the Dual? Thanks!
plato
Doing a little more research, I see that I can get a Shure M78S for around $60 and I think that Grado might make a Prestige model with a 78 stylus for around the same price. I'm not sure if I want to spring for that since I only paid $30 for the turntable, but if I don't find a better deal in the next couple of weeks, then I guess I'll pay the $60 for a new one. Man, how cheap can I get! :)
Plato...For really authentic sound, get yourself one of those piezioelectric crystal pickups that used to sell for about $3.50, with genuine osmium stylus. In fact, going further back, there used to be pickups that used triangular cross section wooden (yes) needles, that you would resharpen with a small clipper tool in between records. When I was about ten years old the headmaster of the school that I attended had a state of the art (1948) system which used the wooden needles. Well-behaved students would get to sharpen the needles.
Shhhhhhsh, Eldartford, if the high-end companies get wind of this they will start making needles out of cocobolo and charging a couple of hundred dollars a pop for them. That's a cool story! :)

When I was a kid I think we had some kind of cheap cartridges (ceramic, perhaps?); and when the needles wore out I can remember somehow jamming an actual metal needle or straight pin in the cartridge and it would work. But I don't think it did much to preserve the life of the records...
Eldartford, that's a wonderful story. Of course I have to ask, was the headmaster's high end TT direct drive? ;^)

Hey, a cocobolo stylus would match my plinth and platter, total WAF you know. Twl could even clean and sharpen it for me with his matchstriker. Plato, where do I get one?!
I have the Sure. It is very good. It has the bridges for mono. And cocobolo is poisonous, hee-hee. Just don't forget to clean your records. And finish with Last preservative.