Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp
Your more then welcome Matt. Knowing what a great guy Merrill is I am sure he will be willing to loan his MA-1 to you again. But if the timing is off for you just let me know.
Wisnon, no this is a separate upgrade from the DSD128. The DSD128 will follow in a few months.
Matt,

Maybe you missed the last part of my post, the Berkeley Alpha Reference is now available.

If this about the best "Redbook" performance, you need to include the Alpha REF in your test.
Kana - yes, I saw that. Thank you.

I currently have the Lampizator Big6 (which is actually sold, just waiting for check to clear), Aeris, EA OverDrive, Meitner MA-1 and my old PSA PW2 in my room. The DirectStream is arriving Monday and the Aesthetix Romulus is incoming whenever it's ready and available. I will try to find a dealer who would lend me a well burned in Alpha Ref. If anyone knows of one, please let me know. I'm happy to listen if you, or anyone else, can arrange getting one to me.

I'm doing my best, but since I try to REALLY listen to each unit, each comparison takes a LOT of time. My current protocol is to listen to my 33 song playlist on each of 2 DAC's; and then repeat the same thing a few days later, listening to the other 1 one first. It works but I may try to cut down my listening list to 15 if I can.... I sometimes only listen to portions of a song, but if it sucks me in........
Ok. I just went through my playlist and cut down to 23 songs. I think that will be more manageable. I tried to remove more, but I want a broad selection of genres and I need one or 2 really well and really badly recorded pieces to see how the DAC handles those.

Thank you, Kana, for motivating me to do that!!