Newbie question on TT.

I found this wonderful site about 2 weeks ago and have been doing alot of reading. First of all, I am very limited on funds to spend on my quest for quality analog enjoyment. Ok, enough rambling, now my question. I have recently acquired thru a yard sale, a beautiful Dual 701 TT and installed a new Shure VN-35E stylus. It sounds much better than my old TT, which was a Technics SL 1300. Is there something I can do for say $100 that would tweak my TT for even better sound? I have it hooked up to a Carver HR 742 receiver. My speakers are 2 floor standing Pioneer CS E9900 4 way speakers and also 2 floor standing Polk Audio RTA 8TL speakers. Any suggestions on anything I can do cheaply to enjoy a better sound will be much appreciated. I have been an avid collector of Analog recordings, with alot of MoFi and Japanese pressing. It might also be of help to know that I mostly listen to classic rock, blues and jazz. Oh, by the way, I bought the Dual for $5.00 I was pretty happy with that find. Not even a scratch on the dustcover, so I don't think it had hardly been used.

Thank you in advance for your help!
sfpritch0a98
Thank you to all that responded. I have not had the opportunity to try any of the suggestions listed, but I hope to this weekend. I seem to think the best thing I can do, is get the grooves really clean. Your help has been appreciated. Thank you!
Viridian & Psychicanimal,I am on your side this time.
I don't like the 501.
I think Viridian & Psychicanimal Know how to tweek a 1300 that will kill a 501.
Ok, this weekend I have had the opportunity to hook up and listen to both TT's in question. I used the new Shure VN 35 on both and after listening and trying to compare, I think I like the 1300 the best. I still need to get a Disk Doctor and get busy doing some serious cleaning. Thanks for all or your help. Much appreciated!!!
Post removed 
Thanks Marty. I will start at the top and work my way down the list and will listen for improvements. I was wondering if you were serious about the 3 glasses, LOL, but will give them a try. As far as buying vinyl, I already have around 5,000 LP's and 10,000 45's, but am always keeping my eye open for more, just don't tell the wife I said that. hehehe
In the meantime, I will follow your suggestions and let you know how it goes. If you think of anything else, please continue. I am very green at all of this and am willing to learn. Actually, I am not really sure what collet on a headshell is. I do see a small rubber deal by the back of the tonearm, about an inch from the edge of the platter, is that it?

Thanks again!
Steve